“A Great downtown that cannot be missed”
Review of C & O Restaurant

C & O Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 545 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
“A Great downtown that cannot be missed”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Great menu, good service too and a great historic structure. Bring plenty of money but plan to use it by staying a long time. The variety of different cheeses, great wine, good beer leaves you plenty of time to select a great main meal. Cozy European seating. Plan to arrive hungry.

Virginia
“Disappointed this time”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I've been here numerous times and have always been fairly impressed by the food and the service. But this time, not so much. Our server was attentive but not very warm and inviting. Not rude, but we felt as if she didn't understand our questions (or didn't want questions?). The appetizers, while a bit small to share with a group (which our server had warned us about), were quite good. And my colleagues seemed pleased with their dishes, especially the Steak Chinoise, which is always, always a hit. But two of us had ordered the green bean side dish and couldn't really eat it. (I'd ordered a double portion as my main dish, so that really presented a problem!) It was listed as having an Asian vinaigrette, which sounded great. But the smell and taste made it almost inedible. My guess is too much fish sauce. On that, though, our server was great. She wanted to know why I hadn't liked it and apologized and promised to tell the chef. Which is what I would expect. So, no giant faults with C&O this time around, but just a disappointing evening at a restaurant I've always enjoyed. . . .

• Visited March 2013
“One of the best in Charlottesville”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

We haven't been here in several years but they have a new chef so we tried it last night. I thout the service was courteous and prompt. I tried the Hamachi Crudo appetizer and the Duck Breast on a bed of mushrooms. The Hamachi was excellent quality but it was served with a cream sauce and pork belly. I personally would have preferred a simpler presentation with just a drizzle of quality olive oil and some lemon. The duck was perfectly pink meat with crispy skin,best I have had in a long time. The wife started with vegetable soup(a bit salty) and had the goat for her main,good but the duck was better. We shared a bottle of 2006 St. Innocent pinot noir from Oregon. Good recommendation from the sommelier. Quality price ratio fair because the wine was half the cost.

Pittsburgh
“Likely the best.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a good restaurant. The atmosphere is pleasant if self-consciously quaint. The wine list was good with some good bottles at reasonable price. Service is attentive. The noise level was tolerable. Our dishes were certainly tasty and well prepared even if presented in the trendy pile it up on a scoop of mash school. We were having a great time until a group of four was seated next to us. The woman had spent a lot of money on a bunch of perfume and used it all that night. On top of it all, they were loud and boistrous. I know that the restaurant can't help that, but I wish they could.

“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Even after reading the recent reviews my husband and I decided to try the Cuban steaks. Unfortunately the other reviewer was correct. Our steaks were not good cuts of meat, and almost has a charred burnt taste. We are NOT picky. The bread was tasty as were the scallops appetizer, and wine. Service was slow, and our water glasses were empty a few times although not for too long. Not a horrible experience, but the worst experience we have had in a while.