“rich flavors”

Hamiltons' at First & Main
Reserve with OpenTable
Hamiltons' at First & Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located in the heart of Charlottesville's Downtown district, Hamiltons' is the perfect spot for a delicious afternoon lunch or a romantic evening dinner. A cheerful, cozy atmosphere and attentive service ensure our guests enjoy an outstanding dining experience, be they Charlottesville natives, out-of-town visitors, or University students and staff. We also feature outdoor patio seating seasonally, providing our guests the opportunity to dine amidst the bustle of the Downtown Mall. Our Staff Kate and Bill Hamilton opened the restaurant's doors in February 1996. Today, talented Chef de Cuisine Curtis Shaver brings a distinctive flare to the exciting, contemporary American cuisine for which Hamiltons' is known. In addition to overseeing Hamiltons' award winning wine list, General Manager and Partner Daniel Page directs a staff renowned for its congeniality and professionalism. Music at Hamiltons' Every Saturday and Wednesday night from about 7-10 p.m, Hamiltons' hosts the live jazz stylings of guitarist Peter Richardson. Peter's album with clarinetist Dave Kannensohn titled "Saturday Nights at Hamiltons'" features American and Latin jazz favorites.
New York City, New York
“rich flavors”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I love farm-to-table restaurants, and places that serve local food that is freshly prepared. We were in C-ville for only one night and found this place on tripadvisor. I was not disappointed. The atmosphere is a little bit too "modern" for my taste, but very well done. I had crab cakes and a salad, my daughter had pasta and my husband had fish. we enjoyed the whole meal and would come back again. Despite the pouring rain we found free street parking very nearby which made it easy. The prices I thought a bit overpriced. I don't like to compare too much, but we live in NYC and I could have had a better quality meal in NYC for a little bit less. I was however, happy to support this restaurant and hope to see more places like this in other parts of America.

• Visited June 2013

• Turkish first
Reston, Virginia
“GREAT lunch”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Highly recommend this place. Had the crab cakes that were fantastic. My wife had the goat cheese salad. We both enjoyed the pepper soup that was the soup of the day. Pecan dessert was average.

We both commented on how fresh tasting everything tasted. A real treat from the plain experience one gets at chains and common restaurants. The server did a great job as well. Overall a top notch lunch experience.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Barry G
“Favorite Charlottesville restaurant”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

This is our favorite restaurant to celebrate special occasions. The food and service never disappoints. Great value for lunch.

• Visited December 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“a grand place to eat when on the Downtown Mall”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Wonderful wait staff + excellent food. Special dinner there after the Virginia Film Festival….
we represented the ARctic and our colleagues the Australian aboriginal world….2 different films.
I will always chose to go back there for the food and atmosphere. A very comfortable spot and not too expensive. It is one of my favorite places to go in C'ville.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank arctic09
Boones Mill, Virginia
“First class delectable cuisine”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Located on the downtown walking mall, with seating both inside and on the sidewalk, Hamilton's provides a first class dining experience, with an impressive selection of wine available by bottle or
glass. This is upscale, gourmet dining at very reasonable cost with very attentive and professional wait staff.

• Visited December 2013