“So good I went back a second night”

Hamiltons' at First & Main
Reserve with OpenTable
Hamiltons' at First & Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Charlottesville's Downtown district, Hamiltons' is the perfect spot for a delicious afternoon lunch or a romantic evening dinner. A cheerful, cozy atmosphere and attentive service ensure our guests enjoy an outstanding dining experience, be they Charlottesville natives, out-of-town visitors, or University students and staff. We also feature outdoor patio seating seasonally, providing our guests the opportunity to dine amidst the bustle of the Downtown Mall. Our Staff Kate and Bill Hamilton opened the restaurant's doors in February 1996. Today, talented Chef de Cuisine Curtis Shaver brings a distinctive flare to the exciting, contemporary American cuisine for which Hamiltons' is known. In addition to overseeing Hamiltons' award winning wine list, General Manager and Partner Daniel Page directs a staff renowned for its congeniality and professionalism. Music at Hamiltons' Every Saturday and Wednesday night from about 7-10 p.m, Hamiltons' hosts the live jazz stylings of guitarist Peter Richardson. Peter's album with clarinetist Dave Kannensohn titled "Saturday Nights at Hamiltons'" features American and Latin jazz favorites.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Both indoor and outdoor seating with creative, delicious specials on the menu. Excellent options for vegetarians and a nice wine selection. Desserts are a must! The fig balsamic creme brulee was amazing and the Gearhart chocolates are enough to share or bring home for a late night treat. Service was personable and polite.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Everything cooked to satisfaction, chicken breast was moist and tender, the polenta was the best I have ever eaten, mahi mahi grilled to perfection with risotto.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had made reservations but were a little early. Restaurant was not crowded and they put us in a corner with a view of bicycles out of the side window. The restaurant was lovely, but with our seats, couldn't enjoy. Food was very good. I had a southwestern shrimp with smokey tomatoes. Server was acceptable but not very interactive. I was looking forward to this restaurant and walked away somewhat disappointed.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I went with my daughter-in-law (at the time, my son's fiancee) and her mother and bridesmaids for a lunch on Friday before the night of the rehearsal dinner. It was so easy to park and to get to the restaurant and the food was great, very fresh and local. It is a small place so I am not sure they can do events but for a lunch or dinner it is wonderful.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Oh boy, the older I get the fussier and more crotchety I become about tolerating high priced restaurants putting on airs. I walked into Hamilton's in a bad mood because of something that had absolutely nothing to do with the place and walked out a happier person.

Attractive low key decor, white cloth table linens, kind lighting (bright enough to see the menu easily, low enough to hide wrinkles) and a menu featuring interesting choices for starters and mains. A well made marguerita helped improve my mood immediately. In the interest of achieving a flat(tish) stomach, I skipped the appetizer but tasted one of my fellow diner's choices, a tartlett with sweet potatoes, carmelized onions, bacon and chevre topped with candied pecans. Yum, yum. Great blend of flavours, all of which came out, the bacon, the onions, etc. A generous portion for $11.

My main course was a chicken breast and polenta cake--I'm sure it was worded more poetically in the menu but no matter. It was delicious, succulent chicken, done just right, well seasoned and the polenta was crusty on the outside and moist and flavourful on the inside. One of the other diners had a shrimp dish with creamy grits. I tasted the grits which were creamy and a good pairing with the shrimp. All the main courses ranged from about $23 to $28.

My partner had a fig creme brule ($8). Outstanding. Creamy, figgy and just the right thickness of brule crust. I had one bite and was very impressed. I've had creme brule everywhere and this was among the best.

Service was impeccable. Prices commensurate with the food and service.