“Great place to have a beer and some food”

South Street Brewery
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2013

On our trip through Charlottesville we stopped for a beer and some food at this local brewery. Very cosy atmosphere and great staff. The menu is providing a good choice of food but their beer tops it all. Some of their brews are too hoppy for my taste however, the Pale Ale and the Oktoberfest Brew are a hit. Stop here for a sip to re-hydrate. The burger we had was a bit dry but the beer made it good.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I visited Blue Mountain Brewery the night before I visited South Street Brewery. South Street is the ONLY brewery in the actual town of Charlottesville, yet Blue Mountain Brewery has earned the "Best of Charlottesville title." I was confused by this, but my visit made it abundantly clear. We went for a late dinner on a Monday night. There were about 8 other people there - a group of 4 at the end of the bar, another couple a few seats down from us, and a couple at a table. The bartender spent so much time talking to the group of 4 that our meal took forever. After getting us menus and our beers, we had to flag him down to order food. Then the food took forever. Once we had food, we turned invisible. There were long periods where he literally did not turn away from talking to the group of 4 to see if anyone else (only 4 more of us at the bar - the table had its own server) needed anything. He also spent a long period of time in the kitchen, so the bar was completely unmanned. Aside from feeling like they don't care about their customers, I'm amazed because the place could have sold us AT LEAST two more beers. But alas, we sat drink-less (as did the couple a few seats down from us) for most of our experience at this brewery.
The food was mediocre. My pasta dish was fine, but my wife's steak appeared to be old. It probably should have been served a week earlier or thrown away. The potatoes were all but raw. They were fingerlings. They don't take that long to cook.
I don't know what the beer selection is like in most of the bars in Charlottesville, but if you can get by elsewhere, don't waste your time at South Street.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Fresh beer is always better beer, but I feel like the brewer didn't take too many chances with flavor or hop levels. The beers were good, don't get me wrong, they just didn't have a wow factor, a bit weak for my tastes (and I had their more robust selections). The bartender was very helpful and a nice guy.
if you live in an area where microbreweries are rare, give it a try, but you may be a bit underwhelmed otherwise.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We just went for a quick dinner during the week. They have a varied menu and good food.Nothing special from a dining standpoint. May be different story later in the evening.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Went for lunch. Limited lunch menu. Smoked salmon bot was phenomenal. Chopped salad was terrific. Got the beer sampler-we liked 5 of the 8 beers- the hefeweizen is decent. The bartender gave us a blend ot a stout and a honey beer, which was terrific. Nice place to hang for lunch, but they could use more options in the lunch menu. Nachos were very cheesy.

1  Thank RichFisler