“Nice Local Place to Eat and Drink”

South Street Brewery
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were very pleased with the Brewery. It was full of locals, which I think is always good. They make several varieties of their own beer and the Satan's Pony Amber Ale was very good. We had a bit of a wait, so we sat on some of the couches and the waitress stopped by to get us something to drink while we waited. The food was also very good. I'd go back any time.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Their black IPA was phenomenal but the caesar salad I had was entirely mediocre with powdery parmesan cheese that I am sure came from a shaker. Drink the beer, sit by the fire but pass on the salad.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We arrived last week on a weeknight around 7:30 and upon arriving, we were pretty happy and excited to enjoy yet another brewpub in our many travels. The place is your every day college town watering hole, but in a great, beautiful, old, & awesome building. Our waitress was great and attentive & the beer made us happy after a day of touring the countryside & wineries. BUT - the food was absolutely horrible. Fish tacos are not supposed to taste that nasty. Packaged shells? Really? And a side dish of cold, pasty black beans. Our other order was a beef ragout that was supposed to have squash & veggies over noodles. I did not see any semblance of a vegetable. That beef had been cooked hours & hours before - and was even cold when it hit the table. I know how to cook - and my son is a D.C. chef - so my review is just a warning for these people who need to get their cuisine in order.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

In defense of the brewery, we were there after a UVa football game and the place was packed.
We got a table in about 10 minutes and felt lucky! We ordered the "specials of the day" and waited just under one hour to have two really average to below average meals brought to our table! I always thought that "specials" should be really good----but, alas, the two specials that we waited so long for, were at best average. Of course, we were hungry, so we ate them. But we will not go back.
Oh, yes, the beer? It was quite good and we drank a lot of it while we waited! Maybe that was their plan!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Got the mushroom Swiss burger and it was cooked perfectly. Usually the medium burgers are overcooked - but not here. Really enjoyed washing it down with their lager - Satan's Pony. Went on a quiet Friday but sure the restaurant has an excellent atmosphere at night and during football Sautrdays.