“A very unique house with lots of character!”
other travelers have booked this property
A cozy fire will greet you during the cooler months Front entrance
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
A cozy fire will greet you during the cooler months
Front entrance
Top of the line Bosch appliances
The railing used to be a futon frame, and yes, those are croquet balls!
A giant lantern lights the way. That's a tree we cut down and used throughout the house.
The rest of the tree was used as a railing in the loft
The hallway floor is old hickory, and that's 100 year old brick on the chimney.
We made pendants out of vintage canning jars.
King-size bed in the master bedroom.
Master bath vanity
Look what you can do with remnant tile!
Indoor porch off the master bedroom
Off the indoor porch. there's an outdoor porch.
The plaque was carved by the local tombstone company out of leftover granite.
Exterior view from the yard
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
jcstaley
Windsor, North Carolina
“A very unique house with lots of character!”
Reviewed May 4, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

We really enjoyed the short walk to Market St which has restaurants, shopping, and night spots explore. The ladies shopped while the guys got in a round of golf. The South St. Brewery was our favorite spot with the best food in our opinion. Not an overly busy town which is what we were looking for to enjoy a relaxing weekend with friends.

pogofish
Dallas
“Romantic Hideaway”
Reviewed October 22, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

The Recycled House is truly for couples looking for a romantic hideaway. Nestled in a quiet neighborhood, this gem is cozy and relaxing with all the comforts of home! A beautiful soap stone fireplace for sipping wine by the fire on cool nights. The kitchen has all the needed amenities, if you plan on eating in! If you are looking to curl up with a good book, climb the unique staircase to the cozy loft, or to the beautiful bedroom! This home is also within walking distance to the Downtown Mall and a short drive to all of the area attractions, wineries and breweries! Just the place for couples looking to get away and relax!

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
VirginiaS...
Virginia
“Lovely Mother/Daughter Getaway”
Reviewed September 16, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

My mother and I were due to spend two nights at the Recycled House but unfortunately we had to cut it short and only did one night instead. I'm sure that Debra remembers us.

The house is extremely interesting and Debra is very enthusiastic about her ongoing project of adding to the house. I love the way she has incorporated so many different materials, objects etc. You can tell that this is a labor of love.

It is definitely within easy walk of downtown Charlottesville with it's many restaurants and shops. It is also in a great location to visit Monticello and other wonderful landmarks.

The main bed upstairs was extremely comfortable. My one and only problem was that I had a hard time trying to shut the blinds because I couldn't reach the cord. I'm only 5'2" and with a lot of stretching I managed it. Perhaps just making the cord longer would be very helpful for shorter people.

Also at the time that we were there I think Debra had had some kind of staining work done because I became very sensitive to that smell of varnish.

That being said, our overall experience was very good and I would definitely recommend this unique house to my friends and family.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The uniqueness and location
Traveling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
jr0331
Boston, Massachusetts
“Charming, cozy house; easy walk to downtown”
Reviewed November 13, 2014 for a stay in November 2014

I had a really great stay. The proprietor met me and showed me around. The house has everything you would need, and the location (in a quiet neighborhood a few blocks from the main st mall) can't be beat.

Plan to return.

Traveling group: Solo
Lauren C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great weekend with the girls!”
Reviewed November 12, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

I recently came back to Charlottesville for UVA Homecomings with several of my girl friends and we rented the Recycled House for the weekend. We could not have asked for a more perfect place to stay! The house is absolutely gorgeous and the decorations are so unique. Plus, there was plenty of space between the bed, pullout couches, and sofas for all of us! The house is in a cute, safe area right off the Downtown Mall. We were almost bummed we had so many alumni activities, because we wanted to spend more time in the house! Debra was also extremely helpful, even meeting one guest at the house late at night when she had trouble getting in. The house was perfect for our weekend, and I can assure you we will be making it part of our new tradition! Thanks to Debra for everything.

Traveling group: Friends
Heatherda...
Wilmington
“Great house, great location!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

I found the recycled house while planning our annual girls trip to Charlottesville. The location cannot be beat and the house is just amazing! There were 6 of us, we slept comfortably and felt right at home. We enjoyed the cozy fireplace and with the open concept of the house we always felt like we were getting the most of our time together. I would recommend the recycled house to anyone looking for a place to stay in Charlottesville.

Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
31Carmel1...
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“A delightful unique experience”
Reviewed September 29, 2014 for a stay in June 2014

My husband, son, daughter, and I stayed for three nights at the Recycle House this past June. Deb greeted us and gave a tour of her unique beautiful home, With my children being older, it was nice to have the separate liviing areas where they could veg and have some privacy. The house was clean and nicely decorated. Deb was a wonderful hostess, going out of her way to make us comfortable!

Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing