“I enjoyed it and would go back!”

Travinia Italian Kitchen & Wine Bar
Ranked #59 of 582 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere and service was excellent. I LOVED the calamari. The filet and the pasta was good.
I enjoyed the Classico Chianti.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Went here with my dad and ate at the outside bar. The bartender immediately remembered his name, even though he'd only been in once before! The bartenders are incredibly friendly and on the ball. The inside is all in stone and very classy looking, and the outside has three stone fire pits that you can sit at. The chairs at the outside bar are noticeably awkward to get into. I didn't think the food itself was as great as the atmosphere, but my dad got the small plate of crabcakes and liked it so much that he ended up getting another.

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

As first time patrons, we were given a great introduction by an upbeat and helpful server. Uncle Tony's pizza was a winner and the macaroni and cheese was great. A very nice wine list and reasonable prices made this a good find for hungry travelers. With ten locations, we hope to find another one soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our daughters called us the other night and said we 'must' try Travinia - they'd had such a wonderful first experience. So never ones to hesitate, off we went last night. And were we glad we did.

First, I must say that we were seated immediately (it was a bit early for dinner, about 6 pm) and the atmosphere and décor are fresh and appealing. Service was impeccable - from the big smile with which Jason greeted us to the delivery of the check with a 'take your time, whenever you're ready' and 'thank-you' at the end. Jason knew the menu, could answer every question and when the entrees were brought to the table another server helped so that everything arrived at the same time. I should add that substitutions are permitted, and made without quibble.

With great good luck, we discovered that Wednesday night is half-price martini night. There is a limited selection at half price, and many of them are 'silly-tinis' but definitely something for most tastes, including a classic martini.

We all enjoyed our food - from the crab cake 'small plate' (another nice feature, if one doesn't want a full-fledged meal) to the beef tenderloin special. The Sinatra chicken was delicious and the chicken cannelloni quite nice (not inspired, but very tasty). The coffee was very good and the desserts were absolutely wonderful. We stuck to the homemade desserts and shared three among the four of us - cannoli, tiramisu and an apple crostata. The filling for the cannoli was the best I've had south of Philly, the tiramisu was delicious, boozy and one of the best in a long time and we could barely get my husband to share a bit of his crostata!

I know we will definitely be back - and soon!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

During a recent visit to Charlottesville, my wife and I came across the new Travinia restaurant in the Stonefield Retail Center on Route 29. Travinia, which bills itself as "contemporary American Italian," has 11 locations in the Southeast (Virginia and the Carolinas), plus Destin, Florida. The C'ville location's interior decor is fresh and inviting, which is to be expected given how recently it opened. The menu looks like standard and moderately priced fare, with a typical range of pastas, pizza, sandwiches, and beef, chicken, seafood, steak, and veal dishes. For that reason, we were willing to try Travinia, but we expected no more than a decent meal at a decent price.
In fact, we were pleasantly surprised with the high quality of our entrees. My wife really enjoyed her chicken scaloppine, and I found the rigatoni with braised short rib bolognese sauce especially tasty. Travinia also offers a nice range of red and white wines by the glass. We shared an imposingly large slab of cheesecake, which ranked below the best cheesecakes you can get on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx but is still a very good value. The waitstaff was also very attentive and pleasant. There are lots of other restaurants to check out in C'ville, but we'd definitely come back to Travinia.