“A Lovely Rehearsal Dinner, Lovely Neighbors”
Review of Cafe Bocce - CLOSED

Cafe Bocce
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“A Lovely Rehearsal Dinner, Lovely Neighbors”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I live in the same building as Cafe Bocce (the Old Michie Building) and as we constantly walk by the restaurant, we're greeted with friendly hellos and smiles by Chris and his staff on a daily basis. Dinner there is always a pleasure. The waitstaff is knowledgeable and helpful. The food is incredible, with great wine selections, too. I'm a huge fan of pasta and seafood, and there are always several choices on the menu to choose from. The mussels are my go-to appetizer just about every time I come in. I also love their salads - they really keep seasonality in mind with their ingredients.
Now to the rehearsal dinner, which was held in August 2013. Chris and his staff went above and beyond to accommodate our 20 friends and family members and worked closely with my mother-in-law to get exactly what we needed. Even with a big party and a busy Saturday night at the restaurant, the quality and friendliness were still present, and made for a beautiful and memorable evening. We had a few little ones at the party and they got what they needed, too.
Needless to say, I highly recommend this restaurant. Good people, good food, good experience all around.

• Visited August 2013

Afton, Virginia
“Old-fashioned charm”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

What a wonderful surprise to find this level of service and charm in this day and age. White table cloths and napkins....lovely yet unpretentious atmosphere...unobtrusive background music (no televisions - yay!)....rotating oil paintings by local artists on the walls.....attentive, well-mannered wait staff. We were warmly greeted by the owner whose attention to detail is apparent - he thanked us for coming when we took our leave after a most enjoyable luncheon. The food is delicious. What an oasis. This level of cuisine, along with service and atmosphere used to be what one would expect from a "dinner out". Sadly, dining experiences this pleasant are increasingly difficult to come by. Caffe Bocce moves to our short list of go-to places in Charlottesville.

• Visited September 2013
“Perfect rehearsal dinner!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I held my rehearsal dinner for my wedding at Caffe Bocce on July 4 and could not have been more pleased. Chris and his staff did a wonderful job of making my guests comfortable. The service was truly fantastic and the food, as always, was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant for your next event or just dinner for 2!

• Visited July 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Pricey for quality”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Food was acceptable, but paid $30 for just very average pasta and salad. Nothing about the menu seemed really out of the ordinary. Probably wouldn't go back.

• Visited August 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A meal to savor”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Cafe Bocce is a recent arrival on the Charlottesville restaurant scene. Against a large number of restaurants (many of which are expensive, a few of which are worth the expense) creating a new eatery takes courage. The chef/owner at Cafe Bocce has taken the leap and created a place with classic ambience (outside eating in tree-shrouded garden area and inside with the feel of 19th century brick, glass, and wood warehouse. Service is warm without suffocation. The food? wonderful blends of flavors which lead to expressions of delight and wonder. My wife and I experienced the Crab Farfalle with ginger and cream sauce. The separate flavors became singular. The sauce enhanced rather than drowned the crab and pasta. Our daughter had the linguine with local sausage and a medley of herbs. Again, the separate flavors became one. For dessert, we each had a piece of chocolate flowerless torte. It was the best each of us had experienced. (My wife is a chocolate addict and has tasted a large number of such tortes across many restaurants.)

I have enjoyed many fine meals at dining places over fifty years. Our meal at the Cafe Bocce
has to be among the top ten.

• Visited July 2013