“Fantastic!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Virginia Wineworks
More attraction details
Owner description: Located just south of Charlottesville, Virginia, Michael Shaps Wineworks is Virginia's first and largest custom contract winemaking operation. Known for his innovation in the industry, Michael Shaps introduced the "bag in a box" to Virginia wine consumers and most recently introduced a refillable wine growler. Michael is the winner of more Gold medals in the 2015 Virginia Governor's Cup wine competition than any other Virginia winery, and has been featured in numerous national publications. In addition to the Virginia winery, Michael owns a winery in Burgundy, France and imports these wines to the United States. Guests are welcome to taste the Virginia wines or the Burgundy wines.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a no-frills winery and I loved it! I worked in the wine business for a number of years and had the pleasure of having a private tasting with winemaker Michael Shaps. I loved the fact that I was tasting in the middle of it all instead of a fancy tasting room. That doesn't impress me because all I want is good wine and that is what I got. The wines were just outstanding and I walked away with more than a mixed case to my name. Virginia is producing Viognier and Petit Verdot that will knock your socks off and Michael Shaps knows what he is doing.

You can taste both his private label "Michael Shaps Wines" and the "Virginia Wineworks" wines together at the table. The staff really knows their stuff and indulged me with my technical questions.

Thomas Jefferson may have done it first in Virginia, but Michael Shaps is doing it best!

3 Thank czaczek912

West Melbourne, Florida
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Unique atmosphere”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This isn't the most beautiful or sophisticated winery in the Charlottesville region but it may be the most unique experience. The tasting room is in the same room as the oak aging barrels. The staff is very knowledgable about their wines. I even overcame my own bias and walked away with a box of wine (yes a box!)

1 Thank Adrian J
Smithfield, Virginia
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Plain but good!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a no frills winery. Nothing fancy about this place, just good wine, and have even produced a quality wine in a box.

1 Thank Richard C
Minneapolis, MN
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Off the beaten path”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We visited three wineries in the area and started with this one. The staff was incredibly knowledgeable and this was a great start for our day.

It is, however, truly off the beaten path. It is down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. You park and go in a side door and just stand around a do wine tasting. Very casual and no pressure at all to buy. The wine was very good and we came away with three bottles.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“An Excellent Winery Off the Beaten Path”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This winery was great! The only reason why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was because I felt like I needed a truck to get back there (this is an exaggeration, my car traversed the dirt roads just fine). The winery itself is a little rustic and the tastings are performed in the the 55 degree area (a little chilly in the summer when wearing a sun dress) where they also store wines. But after a few tastings, you really start to appreciate how great the wines are at the VA Wineworks. They have a little bit of everything. I took a friend who "isn't really into wines" and she found several wines that she liked. Me personally, I like wine, and I found several that I likes as well. I was pleasantly surprised at their selection of boxed wines too. My recommendation, go visit this winery if you are every near Charlottesville.

Visited June 2013