“Not the place to go for special order cakes”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Paradox Pastry

Paradox Pastry
Ranked #5 of 12 Bakeries in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Great pastries in the morning, fabulous cakes & pies in the evening and salads/sandwiches/soups in between. Lots of space to sit & converse. Open late in the evenings on the weekends. Convenient to the pedestrian mall.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Not the place to go for special order cakes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I contacted the bakery to place an order for a cake. I did this through their website and didn't hear anything after 2 days, so I called the bakery. I was told, "oh, she'll get back to you, don't worry." 10 days later and I've yet to hear a peep. There are too many incredible bakeries in Charlottesville to waste time on one who obviously doesn't care to have my business. I have ordered Paradox cakes before simply for the artistry, but taste is rather disappointing. I ended up ordering from another local cake artist. Simple process, and I felt like they appreciated my business! In the end, I won't even attempt to order anything else from Paradox. Customer service should be paramount in any business, and it's definitely lacking there.

• Visited April 2013

Los Angeles
“Sinfully awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Authentic, delicious and unlike any other pastry in town! The owner Jenny said she has two cooking degrees from Paris including the Cordon Bleu! You have to try the delicious, delicate flavors here!

• Visited March 2013
Barcelona, Spain
“Excellent Food and Service, Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Visited Paradox on a trip to visit our daughter. The three of us ended up here by accident, and was it a lucky accident! Aside from the wonderfully delicious smells (it IS a bakery, after all), we had the lentil soup (outstanding), a turkey/apple/brie sandwich on croissant (wonderful, and a fresh but crisp-crusted croissant -- say that 10 times fast), and the quiche "du jour" (which was excellent). Then we had the chocolate-chocolate-chocolate cookie (forget what it's called, but it was perfect) and great coffee. The service people were very nice, and we also had a nice chat with Jenny, who is the/a owner and very nice. If I lived near Paradox I'd visit more often!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank diant53
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Amazing selection, beautiful cakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have had several things from Paradox, from the simple (croissants and cookies) to the looking simple but obviously not (almond pave). They were all excellent but I have to say the almond pave may have been the best cake I have ever tasted. My husband who does not like cake loved it as well. While we were in the shop we had the privilege to see them in the process of decorating a wedding cake. Gorgeous. This is definitely where I will come for any cake I need decorated.

• Visited September 2012
Virginia
“Perfect if you like a choice of 2,000+ calorie desserts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

If, on the other hand, you'd love something simpler, less harmful to your heart, it might be wise to rethink coming here. Yes, everything looks over the top; yes, everything has enough cholesterol for you to check with your medical insurance before you decide on what to eat; yes, there are oversized photos of Paris on the walls. All in all, there are fewer real choices than C'ville's other fine bakery all at about 33% more in cost. If it's a Saturday morning, one might be more satisfied walking through the farmers' market: there are more options, and one gets to see C'ville.

• Visited August 2012