“Best burger in town!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Location just opened in June 2012
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Citizen Burger is most definitely the best burger I have ever tried. The locally grown, grass-fed beef is amazing! Top it with fresh veggies and garlic aioli... delicious! Be sure to stop in for a burger and a drink next time you are in Charlottesville. You won't be disappointed!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,004)

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was in Charlottesville for a concert, visiting from PA. I didn't do any research on places to eat before I left and figured we'd find something suitable. Well, walking through the adorable downtown mall area, we came across Citizen Burger and figured we'd check it out.

What a great find!! Focusing on local, fresh products, everything was delicious. Some places claim to be 'fresh' - but here you could taste the difference. Everything was delicious, not to mention the staff was wonderful in everything from welcoming us on our first visit and explaining the concept of the restaurant to recommending beers on their expansive list to just being downright friendly and helpful.

Prices were reasonable - particularly for supporting local farmers and being so fresh - I actually would've expected to pay more, but was pleasantly surprised!

I will definitely be going back if I'm ever in the area and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had the vegan house burger, which is beet and quinoa. It's fresh and different from the normal veggie patty. The sweet potato fries are cooked just right. Service was fast, and outdoor seating was comfortable. My only complaint is if you go on the weekend, the alcohol is expensive. Their food has high quality standards, with being local and the meat (if that's your thing) is antibiotic-free so it's not your normal burger joint.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stopped for a quick lunch while shopping & was delightfully surprised by the great tasting cheeseburger paired with a local brew...YUM!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our first time in the amazing city of Charlottesville, VA led us down a bricked and leafy downtown mall...and into the wonderful Citizen Burger Bar. The setting is inviting, with exposed brick and a great bar married with booths and tables. They also had seating outside, but we opted to stay inside.
The servers are young, friendly and very committed to explaining Citizen's menu. We each opted for a different sandwich - one went for chicken, one for the Angus Beef, while I chose the locally grown beef. The brioche bun was spot-on delicious, and the flavor of the sauce was good. You have the choice of pink, a little pink or no pink. I'm a no pink gal, and the hamburger was tender and juicy.
My co-horts did sides of regular fries and sweet potato fries. I tasted each, and would highly recommend the sweet potato fries.
My only regret of the visit...that there isn't a Citizen's Burger Bar closer to my home!