“Very Pleasant Dining Experience”
Review of The Whiskey Jar

The Whiskey Jar
Ranked #48 of 567 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant serving nouveau Southern American cuisine and specialiizing in whiskeys at their bar.
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This place had come highly recommended to me, so my expectations were high. My expectations were met. The atmosphere was great. The service was very good. The menu was very interesting and had things I've never seen on a menu before... like brussels sprouts and black eyed pea hummus. Everything was good except the macaroni and cheese side. I was told they do not used boxed store brand macaroni and cheese to make this dish, but I was hard pressed to discern any difference. Given the diversity of their menu, I was surprised that they didn't use a special pasta and some better cheeses in this dish. I would definitely return to this place!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

recommended by someone when we toured a local winery, located on the downtown mall. location has nice rustic decor, open to the mall. fantastic whiskey (whisky) selection, reasonably priced. good beer menu as well. lunch was very good, great wait staff, very attentive

Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

This was recommended by a friend as a must see for my first time in Charlottesville. Great experience. Sat outside and my waitress was attentive and have me plenty of time to review menu and was available and ready to answer any and al questions. I was there long enough to meet a couple of staff members who were off the clock and hanging out. To me it speaks volumes that employees will hang out where they work and enjoy the place. Says a lot for management and how the place is run.
I had the BBQ sandwich and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very nice.
I love the Whiskey Jar and I recommend it.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stopped here for a quick cocktail before deciding on dinner, but ended up staying for a while. Enjoyed outdoor seating, a couple of cocktails and appetizers. The outdoor seating is located on the walking mall, so you get to see lots of people passing by. Staff was helpful in choosing cocktails.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We recently had dinner at the Whiskey Jar and the four of us in our party were less-than-impressed with the overall experience. The menu was basic and the food was of average quality; although there was nothing that stood out as particularly noteworthy or delicious, we had no complaints about the taste of any of our entrees. The service, however, was curt and nearly non-existent. A little warmth would perhaps have improved our experience.

We will try other establishments in the future.