“Awesome Place for Lunch”
Review of The Whiskey Jar

The Whiskey Jar
Ranked #60 of 568 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New restaurant serving nouveau Southern American cuisine and specialiizing in whiskeys at their bar.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Wife and I stopped into this little spot a couple weeks ago for lunch on a Saturday. The vintage wood decor and old time saloon feel were appealing to us. It was a nice day and the large glass panels were open (I would recommend getting a table by the panels).

The fried chicken was excellent. Moist, crunchy fried chicken is always a good decision. The mac and cheese was also quite good.

I decided to sample some of the local rye whiskey. If you do not know anything about whiskey, their whiskey menu is a little overwhelming but they can help you figure out the drink for you.

If you have time for lunch, I would highly recommend stopping here.

2  Thank ksd8515

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Our bartender from the night before recommended we eat here and we were not disappointed. The band was a little loud in the bar but the adjoining room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The whiskey and beverage list was extensive. Cocktails were good and strong, presented in small mason jars. Before our meal we were served house pickles and peanuts. The catfish was really good. I only wish the brussel sprouts were cooked a little longer, they were pretty hard. My friend had the rabbit and said it was tasty. The soup of the day was excellent. We really enjoyed our visit and would recommend The Whiskey Jar to anyone wanting some upscale comfort food. I wish I lived closer, I'd definitely go back.

1  Thank FWA2006
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Have to call like it was. Five piece blue grass playing on a Tuesday night. Pure pleasure. Blackened catfish sandwich had hardly any spice. The piece of catfish was as small as a dollar bill folded in half. Chicken and dumplings was disappointment. There could not have been more than three dumplings the size of a thimble, or smaller. The broth tasted like it came from a can(beef broth not chicken broth). There were strands of chicken...at least but hardly any choice pieces. The $3.50 ham biscuit was dry and the ham was as thin as a dollar bill. Nine minute wait for server to make first contact.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Visited this pub due to its location close to our hotel and also from its menu choice which offered southern food. Both of us choose to have the fried chicken with collard greens, we were not disappointed, the collard greens were particularly good. We both had dessert and felt that perhaps these were not where the kitchen excelled, they were ok but no where near as good as the main course.

1  Thank hipnhappy
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I ate here for the first time tonight and it was pretty good. The menu is very different from most of the other restaurants in the area. More home cooking type meals.

I had the pork BBQ sandwich that was served with a vinegar based sauce. I had the hand cut french fries which were very good.

The fudge brownie with home made ice cream was wonderful.

There is no air conditioning so it was a bit warm.

1  Thank TripinOnTheEarth