“Excellent”

The Whiskey Jar
Ranked #50 of 540 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, Pub, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New restaurant serving nouveau Southern American cuisine and specialiizing in whiskeys at their bar.
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Visiting Charlottesville with some friends. Stopped by here on two consecutive days and had excellent service each time. Sat at the bar both days. Bartenders were extremely knowledgable about the Scotch and Whiskey selection that is on hand.

• Visited February 2013

Virginia
“Not bad, not great, basic Southern food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Somehow I was expecting more from this restaurant, given the local competition in downtown Charlottesville, and other great reviews. I was disappointed because there were few choices on the menu, and none of them healthy and/or low-fat. Almost everything was fried, bar-b-que/hamburger or had eggs. They have one vegetarian choice, but if you don't like hummus, you're out of luck. While I like comfort food from time to time, I'd like to have at least one selection that is not fried, greasy or eggy. I guess they are going for traditional local Southern food, but I don't get the feeling that they are trying to add anything new or innovative to make it special. So, while it's not bad, there is nothing here to impress, basic bar/lunch atmosphere, basic Southern food.

• Visited February 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good southern comfort food & great drinks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We took our daughter here, who was visiting us and we all loved it! This is the 4th time that I've been here and it gets better and better each time! Everything that we had was wonderful! As appetizers we had the shrimp and grits and the pork belly with a cranberry chutney. Man, were they good! Our daughter had the quail and my husband had the pork chop. They both loved their meals and I tasted them so I can attest to them both being very tasty! I had the "Pick 3" and had 2 ham biscuits and some campfire beans....very yummy! My daughter had a side of collard greens which she remarked were the best that she'd ever had. The drinks were wonderful and our server, Drew, was excellent and lots of fun! I've always liked this place but now I've fallen inlove with this place!

• Visited December 2012
Rockville, Maryland
“Great find for whiskey lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband loves bourbon and the bar at this place caught his eye through the window as we walked by. They have it all. Also, for non-bourbon officianado's, they've got wine, beer and a killer moonshine punch. We had the fried chicken (okay) and collards (awesome) and really enjoyed the peanut-and-pickle plates which arrived before the meal!

Visited December 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Hearty and fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I have eaten here once, and we're looking forward to our next visit. We started out at the bar inside, waiting until our table was ready outside. He tried one of the long list of whiskey options (I'm not going to try to pronounce it - bunny-something :) ) . I had the fried chicken over cooked greens and he had the chicken pot pie. They were both really good. The fried chicken was crispy and peppery, just the way I like it, and the greens were delicious. I love the atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012