“Good southern comfort food & great drinks!”
Review of The Whiskey Jar

The Whiskey Jar
Ranked #39 of 584 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New restaurant serving nouveau Southern American cuisine and specialiizing in whiskeys at their bar.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We took our daughter here, who was visiting us and we all loved it! This is the 4th time that I've been here and it gets better and better each time! Everything that we had was wonderful! As appetizers we had the shrimp and grits and the pork belly with a cranberry chutney. Man, were they good! Our daughter had the quail and my husband had the pork chop. They both loved their meals and I tasted them so I can attest to them both being very tasty! I had the "Pick 3" and had 2 ham biscuits and some campfire beans....very yummy! My daughter had a side of collard greens which she remarked were the best that she'd ever had. The drinks were wonderful and our server, Drew, was excellent and lots of fun! I've always liked this place but now I've fallen inlove with this place!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband loves bourbon and the bar at this place caught his eye through the window as we walked by. They have it all. Also, for non-bourbon officianado's, they've got wine, beer and a killer moonshine punch. We had the fried chicken (okay) and collards (awesome) and really enjoyed the peanut-and-pickle plates which arrived before the meal!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I have eaten here once, and we're looking forward to our next visit. We started out at the bar inside, waiting until our table was ready outside. He tried one of the long list of whiskey options (I'm not going to try to pronounce it - bunny-something :) ) . I had the fried chicken over cooked greens and he had the chicken pot pie. They were both really good. The fried chicken was crispy and peppery, just the way I like it, and the greens were delicious. I love the atmosphere.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I went with a group to the Whiskey Jar the other night - a Saturday night to be exact, and it was a good choice. The menu claims to serve "traditional cuisine from Virginia's Piedmont region" and that's accurate. Which means if you are looking for some other cuisine, or lighter fare, this probably isn't going to appeal to you. You would be making a mistake if you walked out, A better choice would be to go with an open mind, ask the bartenders to recommend a whiskey for you, sit back and enjoy. The bartenders are extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and ready to help out if you need it. Same goes for the wait staff - very attentive and accommodating. Food was good, too. My only caution is don't assume a side salad is a side. The roasted beet salad would work as a whole meal. Enjoy.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The food did not really blow me away here, it was more the atmosphere and look of the building itself. It has old wood paneling and a really pretty bar setup. It is open air so the band sets up inside but you can sit outside and still hear/see them very well. Go on a night when the gypsy jazz trio is playing!! They r great. This place has a killer selection of bourbons/whiskeys (obviously) and they make a decent old fashioned. Go here for people watching, fun energy, and cocktails.