“We Liked the Jug!”

The Whiskey Jar
Ranked #47 of 553 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant serving nouveau Southern American cuisine and specialiizing in whiskeys at their bar.
Charlottesville, VA
“We Liked the Jug!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stopped by the Whiskey Jug on a Wednesday night since there were no guests at our B&B and we had some extra time. The decor is cozy with exposed brick. Some local musicians were playing great background music and the fried oysters were delicious!

They do a great job using lots of ingredients locally sourced, as well as owning their own farm.

Try them out!

• Visited October 2012

Albany, New York
“Great food, friendly staff”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Husband had trout and I had pork chops. Both meals were delicious. Wait staff was very attentive and friendly; we dined outdoors as restaurant is situated within the Charlottesville pedestrian mall area of the historic district. It was a lovely fall evening and we were not hurried ... could have spent hours at the location if we weren't so tired. Restaurant has a varied menu with specials that are quite interesting; offer a wide variety of dishes for different tastes ... whether for a meal or a few drinks.

Visited September 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I really enjoyed the Whisky Jar. I stopped in the first night because I heard the live music and wanted to listen while having a beer. I had a great time and planned to rate Whisky Jar favorably based on this experience alone. While listening to the music I took a peep at the menu and decided to come back the next night for dinner. Again, they had live music playing and I sat outside to enjoy the great weather and music. The waitress was so helpful and friendly – she obviously enjoyed her job and knew all the menu items. I had the hushpuppies/biscuit appetizer which was good, but heavy (I know fried dough balls!). For dinner I had the creamed spinach and sweet potato dumplings. The creamed spinach was amazing. So yummy. The dumplings were pretty good, but nothing like the creamed spinach! My dining companion got the side item meal with a bowl of tomato okra stew. The stew was delicious and I highly recommend it also. The Whisky Jar uses local ingredients, which is awesome. In fact, the night I was there they had a stuffed jalapeño appetizer, which the waitress said the jalapeños were grown in the owners garden. Try the Whisky Jar – it is well worth a stop.

• Visited September 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Food Wonderful...but the NOISE...ugh!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Charlottesville Pedestrian Mall has many great and varied choices for a really good meal. The Whiskey Jar is a relatively new addition and the meal we had suggests it will compete well.

Let's talk food first. It's deserves a 4.5 rating. The focus is the cuisine of the Virginia Piedmont with appetizers like Fried Okra and Bread Salad (don't over think the name...order it...it's great). I had local trout which was big and very good. My wife had the Fried Chicken. It came undercooked but the problem was quickly rectified. The service was good.

Anyone going here for a meal really needs to be aware of the noise level. We dined around 8 pm....before any live music began (10:30 pm on selected night).

The restaurant's problem is how it is set-up and the high ceiling. The set up is a bar on one side and dining on the other. There are not that many tables in the dining area but the noise level hits the "unbearable" level at times. It was hard to converse without shouting....thus the noise level just grows. I could hear the table behind us just as well as I could hear my wife. They need to address this noise.issue and they could start by turning off the speakers in the dining area. Even though the live music had not started, the band that night were tuning up. That's when it was unbearable.

My rating may seem unfair when one goes to a restaurant for the food. However, if the atmosphere takes away from the total experience, Trip Advisor readers should know this in advance.

We WILL go back to The Whiskey Jar...but for lunch or a late afternoon dinner. (There is outside seating as well.)

• Visited September 2012
Afton, Virginia
“Movie and dinner”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I went out for an old fashioned date, we watched a good movie and then crossed the downtown mall to the Whiskey Jar .. Although the menu reads simply, the food is outrageously good. The staff are really well informed and helpful. This is the best of Go Local

1 Thank Patricia H