“Huge Portions tastes great.”
Review of Bella's Restaurant

Bella's Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 567 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th Street NW
Transit: Catch the CAT down West Main Street.
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Reservations are recommended here,but we didn't have one and they were able to seat us right away at 6:30 on a Tuesday night. They were busy too. Meals are served either for two people or 4,and believe me when they say its for two, order for two. Our group of five decided to order individually and it was too much food. Food is very fresh and ample. I thought our waiter was a little boisterous for my liking, but overall efficient and friendly. Very clean and modern here,you will enjoy this place.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife & I have been wanting to go to Bella's for over a year nor but out busy scheduled never allowed. FInally did it this past weekend and it was well above average. it was UVa Graduation weekend so when we made reservations (2 weeks out) I was surprised they have a lot of available times in prime dinner hours (530-800).

Service was outstanding! Bella was making rounds in the restaurant making sure everyone was please. We arrived at 6pm for our 630 reservations and had a drink at the bar while we waited for 630. The bartender was great and serving drinks and chatting with everyone sitting at the bar. he even used his charisma and tried to have us eat dinner at the bar (obviously to up his tip and knowing we were there just for one drink while waiting for our table). We were seated just after 6:30. Our waitress (Nicole?) was outstanding! I've also had her before at the local irish pub hole in the wall in town and she is much less on her game. I could tell management trained the staff well.

Food was great. A friend recommended the grilled Gorgonzola salad and I was a bit put off by this but we got it. It was one of the best things I have ever tasted! A perfect appetizer! For dinner we got the Chicken Parm for 2. Enough for both of us and some pasta for take home. I agree with many others posts on here that the sauce is nothing to write home about. The chicken was very good. We could tell it was not frozen and that is was local. The pasta was also very well cooked.

Overall, our experience was great. It lived up the expectations although if I had to pick one thing it would be to improve their sauces to bring more flavor. Everything else was great and the place was packed obviously with grad weekend. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a typical American restaurant..lots of mediocre food...horrible pasta, tastes like canned sauce...much too much food...even the "one plate for two people" is grossly enormous. And watch the small print which tricks you into thinking you are getting a reasonably priced meal. It nearly doubled ours. I would definitely stay away from tis place.

2  Thank Karl W
Reviewed April 22, 2013

we entered into a pleasant atmosphere. Once we sat down the waiter was on his game (which we can all appreciate). we ordered app's : antipasto, and aracini. Antipasto was true to its name no SALAD. we were impressed. then came are main course spaghetti and meatballs for all of us as we went there with 2 small children. The sauce was by far the worse i had ever tasted in an Italian restaurant. it was as if they poured it out of a can added some green spice and called it red sauce. Not for nothing but if your red sauce can't even please my 8 and 6 year old being their favorite i would have to say you need to work on it. not to mention you are a Italian restaurant with really bad sauce. I wanted to give them a 3 star but the sauce was what ultimately made me give them a 2 star. oh yeah the meatballs tasted like saw dust and for 5 of use they only served 10 meatballs when i looked over to the next table who had ordered the the portion for 2 had 6 meatballs . and last but not least they make no mention of gratuity being added to parties of 5 or more is not wriiten on menu and deceptively added a gratuity of 20% and didn't mention it when they brought the bill. I gladly paid it as service was great but again deceptive. To all my readers this pisses me off more then anything ! who are they to automatically add 20% to r already high bill of 200USD yes 200USD for 2 apps and spaghettie and meatballs 2 beers and 2 glasses of red wine(which was limited as well). I will not be returning . Shame as I love Italian food and Charlottesville lacks any good ones

2  Thank gregoire g
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great variety of paninis for lunch as well as salads. Serving sizes are very large and filling. The atmosphere is very cozy, this is not a huge restaurant. The service is very good and personal, but it does take a little time to get your food, primarily because it is obviously prepared with care.