“Definitely come back”
Review of Sultan Kebab - MOVED

Sultan Kebab
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We liked this place. See write up in C'ville newspaper: Turkish delight --- 29 North just past the intersection of Rio Road is an unlikely location for Charlottesville’s first Turkish restaurant, but Sultan Kebab—opened in part by former GM at The Clifton Inn, Deniz Dikmen—has been serving up authentic dishes like lahmacun (that’s a crispy Turkish pizza covered with ground beef, vegetables, and spices), hummus casserole, dolma, kofte, and kebabs (from adana to doner) from that very spot for three weeks now. It’s open every day for dine-in or carry-out from 11am to 9pm and serves homemade Turkish baklava and that addictively strong Turkish coffee or tea for those wanting an after-dinner pick-me-up. Sounds like a meal fit for a sultan.
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We started with the sigara börek and it was crispy and delicious
My wife had shrimp caserole and I had Adana beef kebab it was cooked well and Spiced perfectly,the server was so friendly ,ambiance was warm,just the locations is kind of hidden but we definitely come back

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Friendly service,warm ambiance ,fresh food,I loveeeee this place one of my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville,

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Had a birthday lunch here for my husband, total party of four. Everything was absolutely spectacular.

My sister was raving about the hallumi cheese, so we started off with that. It was delicious. Grilled and sitting atop a small salad. Yum.

For lunch, I had the ground beef kebab platter, which came with rice, pita, salad, and easily the best hummus I've ever tasted. Seriously, next time I'm going to ask if I can buy a container of it separately. It was that good. Everything on the plate tasted great and was well presented.

My mother really enjoyed her chicken kebab platter, my vegetarian sister was very happy with her platter, and my husband couldn't choose so he had a combination platter with both ground beef and chicken. I sampled his chicken and it was fantastic!

For dessert, we each got our own baklava serving. Again, super yum. One piece made with walnut, one with pistachio, and one round. All excellent. The best baklava I ever had was in Calgary Alberta and this came very close to that. Absolutely delicious.

My husband and I are locals and we'll be back many times, I'm sure. Their service is very attentive and they even add a lovely touch when they present the check in a decorative wooden box. Classy. Prices are very reasonable, especially considering the quality of the food.

We left feeling satisfied, but not weighed down, which is restaurant perfection to me. What I call clean food. Perfect.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

This may have been a higher rating if I hadn't had higher expectations based on previous reviews. The venue is clean, bright and attractive, the service friendly and the food was decent. We started with the grilled halloumi cheese. Two small "grilled" slices of a mild cheese over a green salad of fine chopped romaine, tomato and vinaigrette. Nothing too exciting. As entrees, I ordered the lamb kabob and my dining partner ordered the iskender. Once again, the plate of lamb kabob was underwhelming. Small portions compared to other similar restaurants I have visited, nothing like the pictures on the Web, nicely cooked with only one (of 6) chewy piece. Not bad, just not great. The iskender was presented very nicely on a metal plate, but again, the portion was nothing like advertised on the web, the yogurt was nice but, in all, not thrilling. For dessert we ordered the Turkish coffee with delight and baklava. The presentation of the coffee was beautiful, the coffee hot and strong and the delight, was delightful. The baklava was very delicious, pistachio and very much enjoyed. Dessert saved the meal.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

While Sultan Kebob is not on the downtown mall, or located somewhere that it can be stumbled upon, it is worth the venture. Whether you are a seasoned veteran of turkish delights, or this is your first foray into Mediterranean/Middle Eastern cuisine, you will be hooked. While it is not the BEST Turkish food I've ever sampled (that has come from larger cities), for Charlottesville's size Sultan Kebob easily outranks all others in its league. Oh, and be sure to try the turkish wine. While the selection is narrow (as in there is only one type of turkish wine available at a time), it is typically quite good and pairs well with the food. (It also seems LESS marked up than many other restaurants.) Thank you for several fantastic meals, Sultan Kebob! I'll surely be back very soon!

2  Thank Eric B