“Authentic and delicious!”
Review of Sultan Kebab - MOVED

Sultan Kebab
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We liked this place. See write up in C'ville newspaper: Turkish delight --- 29 North just past the intersection of Rio Road is an unlikely location for Charlottesville’s first Turkish restaurant, but Sultan Kebab—opened in part by former GM at The Clifton Inn, Deniz Dikmen—has been serving up authentic dishes like lahmacun (that’s a crispy Turkish pizza covered with ground beef, vegetables, and spices), hummus casserole, dolma, kofte, and kebabs (from adana to doner) from that very spot for three weeks now. It’s open every day for dine-in or carry-out from 11am to 9pm and serves homemade Turkish baklava and that addictively strong Turkish coffee or tea for those wanting an after-dinner pick-me-up. Sounds like a meal fit for a sultan.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you think you've eaten hummus--not until you try the hummus casserole. Hot. bubbly, tasty, cheesy, mmmmm! We also had haloumi salad, kofte platter, shrimp casserole, Turkush coffee (remember to say sweet or not) and Turkish tea. Wine and beer too! And the bill was under $50
Couldn't eat the baklava but others were scarfing it down so it must be deluxe. If you call ahead in the day, we found you can sometimes get special fishes like Turkish rav's. we were so jealous if a table if three Turkush guys after we were finished who had called ahead. If you go, coming from Charlotte, your GPS will keep telling you to turn left at Rio Rd and then after four times around we finally asked where is Puzza Hut to find it ( they are next door). The problem is you need to turn left AFTER Rio Rd the u turn at Ablemarle (right after Rio) and they are in a strip perpendicular to the hwy rt after Pizza Hut. Whew! It's all about the food!

1  Thank Mehdi and Linda M
There are newer reviews for Sultan Kebab

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Wow...who knew you could get great Turkish food in Charlottesville? I was seriously skeptical until I took my first bite. I want to go back and I don't live close at all! This is a great find. Whatever you do, get the the hummus casserole, it is off-the-hook!

1  Thank coastaltransplant
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were surprised it was so small, but we were there around 6pm, so we got a table. The waiter was also the cook. The food took awhile, but it was excellent and very reasonably priced. We found it easily, but we made a left on Rio road and a right into the center. You cannot see it from 29, it is kitty corner from the Pizza Hut.

1  Thank DianeC91
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch with my wife. Doner was tasty but meat a bit dry - not bad, just a little bit too dry.
baklava was excellent, not too sweet and great tasting.

1  Thank alex r
Reviewed February 26, 2013

i came here and had the iskendar kebab the other day, and it was really good and reasonably priced ($10). it's definitely a good sign that the bulk of the time i was in there, i was the only person not speaking Turkish, so I'm guessing that means the food is pretty authentic. I haven't had a lot of Turkish food, but it definitely seemed authentic to me. The portions are decent, but not huge. I have a big appettite, and so I needed a little more food than just the one entree to fill me up, but it was very good and at that price still a good value. i'll definitely be coming back - there are a bunch of other menu options that i've never had or seen before that look interesting (like the meat pizza looking appetizer, amongst others.)

2  Thank Yankeebaseball