“Neat Glimpse Into the Life of James Monroe”

James Monroe's Highland
Book In Advance
More Info
$105.00*
and up
Private Civil War History Half-Day Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Part of William & Mary, this historic site is the home of James Monroe, fifth president of the United States.
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Had been there before in 2009 but was taking my elderly mother on a trip to the area (my father died in June and I was getting her out of the house for a few days).... hadn't planned to stop there but got to Charlottesville sooner than expected and once I told her about it she wanted to see it, so we went.

Guide was very knowledgeable and took her time since it was late in the day. Went into lots more detail about the house, furnishings, the Monroes, etc. Especially appreciated the guide allowing me to carry through the whole house the folding chair they keep for people who can't stand long since mom needed to use it. Mom was shocked at the amount of actual Monroe items in the house and how well maintained it was.

Grounds were beautiful and well-kept. Mom said more than once she would love to spend all day in the garden.

I liked the place the first time I went there. Mom had been wanting to go to Monticello for years but I think she actually like Ash Lawn-Highland more.

The only real thing that I didn't like was having to wait 10-15 minutes to start tour because they were waiting for couple to come from the visitor's center and wanted to get them on our tour...... then the couple didn't realize we were waiting and were looking around the gardens in front of the house.

Well worth the visit. If you are in the area and have a couple of hours free, make the effort to go!

1  Thank BillPorterTN

Reviewed September 1, 2011

No, it isn't Montpelier or Monticello, but it has its own worth. And after the crowds at Monticello, it was a very relaxing, peaceful visit. Monroe was an exceptional president in his own right and the tour was very interesting.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is a nice place to spend an hour and a half, the house is small but very interesting, and the grounds are beautiful. The highlight of the visit was our guide, an older gentlemen who was as entertaining as he was knowledgeable. There were several children in the group and they were captivated by him. We learned a lot about James Monroe in our short visit and were very glad we made the stop. They had a very nice gift shop as well.

1  Thank Jeanniedas
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I only went because it was right by Monticello, and my guess is that's how it gets half its visitors. But I was astonished to find that Ash Lawn Highland is really beautiful, especially the entry, but more importantly, it taught me a lot about James Monroe, someone who I barely knew about before. By the end of my tour, I think Monroe is my favorite president - here's someone that came from nothing, remained honest, and ended successfully. None of the other Founding Fathers can boast that. Perhaps the "last founding father" as he is nicknamed, is the most overlooked.

2  Thank hnt523
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Just a sweet, quaint place, beautiful place! Loved the inside, different then the other President homes. He was a very wise man and kept his collection priority. Great grounds, nice place!!

1  Thank kody76