“Nice experience but underwhelming”

The Fralin Museum of Art at the University of Virginia
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the University campus, this museum features permanent art exhibits from around the world dating from ancient times to present day.
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I echo previous reviewers who stated there is not a great deal to see here- maybe because we went in the summer when school was not back in session yet, they had one gallery closed off. In any event, it took us no more than 45 minutes to view the museum in its entirety, including the special exhibits.

We enjoyed the stop here since we wanted to check out the UVA campus anyway, but I don't think it would've been worth going out of our way to see!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Small enough to manage without exhaustion-- an interesting collection with visiting exhibits, a quiet respite after tramping around the grounds.

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I visited to University of Virginia Art Museum to see if Andy Warhol exhibit of Polaroids. While Warhol is not my favorite artist, I was happy to see the museum's collection of ancient art and collection of local Virginia pieces--both of which are quite good. It is a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon following brunch in Charlottesville.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I expected more from this collection. We visited this art museum hoping to see a decent collection of Cézanne but mostly rough sketches of his work and other French artists of the time. Found the campus more interesting than this place.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Coming into a cool building is the first good thing that will happen to you, if you visit in the summer! Then, you'll be treated to a variety of ever-changing shows and some wonderful pieces in the permanent collection.
I see that another reviewer thought that the Object Study Gallery should have more cohesion and explanation. I, however, loved it. (And, there was a computer right there, for more info.) It's a smallish room full of objects which include: "Chinese bronzes, ceramics and sculpture; ancient Mediterranean coins, glass and marble sculpture; pre-Columbian ceramics; African masks and figures; American Indian beadwork, ceramics and silver; bark paintings and carved sculpture of the Australia's Northern Territory."
Exhibits coming up: Chinese Ink Paintings from the 16th – 21st Centuries; Landscape Painting in the Time of the Civil War; Jean Hélion - Reality and Abstraction; Making Science Visible - The Photography of Berenice Abbott
Hours are: Tuesday - Sunday, 12-5 pm
Location: Thomas H. Bayly Building at 155 Rugby Road
I like small galleries. I don't get gallery burn out and feel stimulated when I leave, instead of fried.