“Disappointing”
Review of Balkan Bistro & Bar - CLOSED

Balkan Bistro & Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Balkan Bistro & Bar! Charlottesville's relaxed, family friendly dining option. Featuring American and Balkan cuisine. The Balkan Bistro & Bar offers tasty appetizers, healthy salads and an array of comforting entrees from Balkan region as well as Southern flair. Plenty of convenient parking available, nice spacy patio and full bar. We are looking forward to serve you!
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were induced to try this by the great reviews, but on the whole were disappointed. There were very few people there, despite it being Friday night...maybe that should have been a clue. Anyway, while the atmosphere is quite nice, and we were able to carry on a conversation with our group of 5, the food was . . meh. The salmon dish, which both my husband and I had, consisted of only a small, not very interestingly seasoned piece of salmon on a very modest bed of, again, blah vegetables. There was no bread or anything beforehand. The $6 rose glad of wine really wasn't very good; I should have sent it back. And the baklava that the other reviewers were praising I found dry and, again, rather tasteless. The service was also just mediocre. Nothing really horrible...it was just one of those cases where you read the reviews, get your hopes up, and feel kind of let down from the moment you go in.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had Valentine's Day dinner there tonight. It was our third visit. We will keep coming back. The food is excellent. Don't expect flashy, but do expect pleasant flavors different from what you normally encounter. We had the trout and Grandma's Pesto Chicken - both were very good. The appetizer of Pallentino Scallops was also great. For dessert the Baklava was truly excellent - not the super-sweet dripping with honey kind that you often find elsewhere. The Ljena Pita dessert was ok, but we won't order it again. I would go back just for the baklava. The people are great and the food is unusual, easy eat and just really good. For such good food the prices are really reasonable.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have been to Balkan Bistro several times now and have enjoyed all my meals. I especially enjoy the Chicken Paprikash. Also, their homemade Cevapi (beef sausage) is fabulous and they make their hamburger patties from this sausage mixture making the TASTIEST BURGER I have EVER eaten! Seriously, I daydream about this burger.
During restaurant week, I tried the cabbage role and it was outstanding as well--very flavorful. To round out a pleasant dining experience, the ambience is mellow(Bobby Darin & Frank Sinatra are on the playlist) and the waitstaff friendly.
Check out this neighborhood gem!

1  Thank Melanie T
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our meal from start to finish. Very interesting menu with friendly service and good value. I had the spaghetti with mussels - outstanding. Husband had crab cakes and risotto. He enjoyed the meal and the beer menu. Don't know if we'll be back to Charlottesville, but if we return, will definitely stop back.

1  Thank Gr8Nancy
Reviewed December 20, 2012

n
"We went to dinner at BALKAN BISTRO last night before the Dave Matthews show. it was OUTSTANDING! If you're looking for a nice relaxing dinner i hightly recommend it.

We started off with the "slider" appetizer, but these sliders were their own beef sausage made in house with a red pepper spread that was to die for. Our second appetizer was the scallops, best scallops I've ever had, but the salad they were nestled on top of was excellent with a light raspberry vinegrette. For the main course I had the ribeye steak med rare which came out cooked perfectly and melted like butter in my mouth, plated with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. My stepson had the Chef's Choice Pene dish which was served with spinich, diced peppers (not spicy at all) and one of the few alfredo sauces I've had that was worth the calories. If I was heading back tonight, I'd opt for the thick cut pork chop they had on the specials list.

They have a very interesting beer menu. I had a Croation pilsner and a Russian lager, both reminded me of Heineken.

To top it off we ended the meal with one of the mositest and most delicious pieces for Baklava I've ever consumed.

Balkan Bistro

1003 W Main St, Charlottesville, VA

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed."