“Good food and great owners.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Balkan Bistro & Bar - CLOSED

Balkan Bistro & Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Balkan Bistro & Bar! Charlottesville's relaxed, family friendly dining option. Featuring American and Balkan cuisine. The Balkan Bistro & Bar offers tasty appetizers, healthy salads and an array of comforting entrees from Balkan region as well as Southern flair. Plenty of convenient parking available, nice spacy patio and full bar. We are looking forward to serve you!
Charlottesville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food and great owners.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We went out for dinner and our food was so good so we made a another trip for brunch next day. My husband's Salmon was out of this world. I took three or so bites and just loved the crispy bites with sauteed spinach and orzo ...
Balkans Cevapi (their house special) was one of the best dishes I have had in Charlottesville since our move here back in 2005. The bread and homemade cheese sauce went so well just like the lovely waitress explained. Glass of Jefferson wine was just a perfect match. The whole restaurant was not as busy since we arrived but towards the end a lot of people came in and the whole scene was just wonderful. We actually made some good conversation with people next to us because they have had Cevapi as well and their reaction was similar to our. We over heard them talking and we had to say - we had them and we know-
We were so full but the waitress advised us that we have to have a dessert b/c apparently current owners had a bakery before and they are baking and selling sweets at farmers market.THE BEST baklava. So soft, lemony, not too sweet, full of walnuts. We bought one more to go for our next door neighbor. She loved it.
Brunch was so memorable. I was warned and I did wait for few minutes for my Balkan coffee but it was worth every sip. My Balkan all the way with bacon on the side is from now on my number one breakfast item of all times. My husband ordered Egg Cevapi with some more of their an awesome homemade sausages. We just could not resist. Such a wonderful experience with one of the best dishes in whole city of Charlottesville. We highly recommend Balkan Bistro and Bar restaurant even though they are pretty new in my opinion they care a lot and with the foods which we have had two days in a row you can just taste it and feel it.

1 Thank Daniela M

New York City, New York
“Must Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I travel to Charlottesville frequently for work, and usually stay in a different area, but popped in here due to it being so close to my current hotel, I'm glad I did. I am allergic to shellfish and do not eat fish but they have catered to my allergies and made me feel as if I was the only customer in the place during crowded dinner times.
More Charlottesville restaurants could benefit from their example. Great service and food. I'm a New Yorker with high standards when it comes to food and business dining and this place was great! The food was delicious.
For dinner I had the homemade sausages and it was as good or better as any I've had in New York City. It was a nice surprise to find it at a Charlottesville restaurant, well done Balkan Bistro. They are similar to small links but the taste is out of this world. Make sure you use your bread to sop up some of the sauce. My only suggestion would be to back off some of the onions but otherwise perfect.
The cheese (homemade sauce) and ajvar dip were perfect, a touch salty and creamy in the same time, Just right, I was so happy!
I was so full and happy but the staff were determined I try one of their desserts. O boy I am glad I did. Their Baklava is one of the best I have ever had in my life. Without honey, without pistachios, I was apprehensive but once I put that first bite in my mouth I was in heaven.
Homemade from scratch is what they told me their cuisine was and let me tell you. This was a homemade from scratch one of the best meals I have had in a very long time. I cannot wait for my next visit to Charlottesville where I am going to be their regular customer. All I have to say restaurant business is very tough but I really think this one is a real gem.

2 Thank Susan H
harrisonburg, va
“Great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

First time for us at this restaurant, and we were not disappointed. The waiter was attentive and provided excellent suggestions when we ordered. Go for the dishes unique to the owner's homeland, and definitely try as many of the desserts as you can. The cake and baklava are superb.

2 Thank gcollins
Kingston, Canada
“Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We happened on this lovely bistro having arrived in Charlottesville tired and hungry after a long drive. The exterior didn't hold much promise, but upon entering, we found a spacious yet intimate interior. The menu is varied and everything sounded appealing. We settled on two seafood entrees and were delighted with our choices. Very reasonably priced - good value for the money. Excellent service. Local artist's work on the walls. Very near our hotel and the university. Highly recommended.

2 Thank LScott52
Norfolk, Virginia
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

We've done extensive traveling in Eastern Europe and thus knew we'd like the food here. It more than met our expectations, although it is a little pricey. It's not a college hang-out like the rest of the restaurants on Main St. nearby, but if you're a sophisticated diner who wants a lovely dining experience with delicious food and outstanding pastries, this is definitely my recommendation.

Visited September 2012