“Has Peter Chang's name - not his cooking”

Peter Chang's China Grill
Ranked #110 of 566 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Http://peterchangscharlottesville.com
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We tried this restaurant again and found it continues to decline. Food quality moves rapidly toward the bland. "Super hot szechuan" fish plate tasted like microwaved cod with a little red pepper and lots of sauce on it - not at all hot/spicy, no real fish flavor. Deep-fried eggplant was crispy and peppery, but the eggplant had been cooked to mush and had no flavor. Garlic-spinach special appetizer was good, wine reasonable, service attentive. This is certainly not the creative Chinese cooking that Peter Chang's name suggests, but it's clean and OK for people who want large quantities of bland Chinese food.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I finally made it here after several recommendations and literally stumbling across it one evening while trying to decide what to eat. What an amazing menu. It would take considerable time to work ones way through the variety of offerings. After a long time deciding I was not disappointed. The staff are friendly and efficient though not overly pushy. This will become a must stop on future trips to the C'ville area.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

While on vacation in the Shenandoah Mountains, my son was watching TV the night before and wanted to try it out. I was up for the drive but not sure especially if it was on the television show known for the odd foods on it's menus. Well it wasn't far off. First you need to like spice as most dishes are spicy. Our waiter was fantastic and described the menu and favorites/recommendations. My son had the lamb chops in a spicy ginger sauce and I have the belly beef bowl. He loved his, I need a stop at the local fast food place afterwards. The beef was for sure "belly" but it must have been belly fat. It was tough and quite an odd taste. The one part of the meal was the Bubble Pancake with a curry dipping sauce. My son would be going back, me not so much.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Dined here on Christmas night with the rest of the Jews, Arabs, Agnostics and Atheists. It was a hoot. In my view there are two kinds of Chinese. Neighborhood Chinese is pretty much the same where ever you go. Must all be out of the same can. "One off" meals that are original to the restaurant sets this kind of Chinese restaurant apart from neighborhood. Chang's is in the latter category. I've been here about 4 times and I never get the same thing twice. There are so many good things to try. I recommend it.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Get the dry fried eggplant. Wow! Great spot for take out Chinese. Very happy we did takeaway when visiting c'ville. OVERORDERED but ate nearly everything :))))

1  Thank Hjwm