“Outstanding Indian Food!!”

Dining options: Reservations
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Outstanding Indian Food!!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We tried this place based on the other reviews here. WOW!!!!! Opinions were dead-on with this restaurant! I may never have had as good an Indian meal as this in the US. Not that I eat a whole lot of Indian food, but I do like it, and have enjoyed it for over 20 years. Royal Indian has an extensive menu, including styles I was totally unaware of, such as Sarson, Rogan Josh, and Konkani. We decided to try a couple of them, as who knows when we'll get the chance again. The Sarson style is a mustard seed and mustard leaf curry. It is spicy and mustard-y, but not too hot. I loved it! The Konkani style is a coconut, tamarind, poppy seed curry. Again, spicy, but not too hot, and very smooth with the coconut milk. I ordered some kind of crazy pickled carrots with lime as a side dish, and couldn't stop raving about them. I never heard of such a thing, and now I want it with every meal! The nan bread was big and fluffy, and very tasty. We went for dinner, and thought it reasonable in price, but then I saw the buffet stations, cleaned out and ready for the next day. They must have 30 different choices! There were three separate stations to accommodate all the buffet items. Royal Indian is hard to see from the main road. It's inside a large shopping center called Seminole something-or-other. The driveway into the shopping center is named Seminole Court. Royal Indian is on the far left after you turn into the shopping center.

• Visited February 2013

Charlottesville, Virginia
“nicely spiced”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had dinner here and enjoyed our meal. The Basmati rice was cooked perfectly with what tasted like melted butter.The Naan was also very good. I had the chicken Marsala which spiced very nicely ,but the white meat chicken itself wasn't as good.some places make it with with whole chicken legs or thighs which to me has more flavor.The waitress not very experienced but made up for it by her good nature and politeness . I would recommend this place for a nice meal at a good price.

• Visited February 2013
Charlottesville, VA
“Maybe the best Indian lunch buffet in Charlottesville”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I've had lunch at Royal Indian several times now, and I think it's better than nearby Milan Restaurant. The food is tasty, and they have a variety of items including chicken tandoori, curried beef and goat. It's tucked away in a strip mall off route 29N, so it's a little hard to find, but it's definitely worth a visit. I'm getting hungry just thinking about the place!

• Visited December 2012
“Unique”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The menu at Royal Indian is wide, varied, and informative. It's a departure from the usual Indian restaurant format and it's a good one. As a result we tried some things we hadn't had before and so our palates were broadened and our knowledge deepened. The service was very friendly and helpful but could be a little more attentive. We sat for a little while before they noticed us. The food was excellent, tasty and plentiful. The naan was among the best we've had. We went for dinner so I can't comment on the buffet. We'll have to explore the other Charlottesville Indian restaurants to make a local comparison, but overall we enjoyed this experience quite well.

• Visited October 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Watch out, Milan, there is another game in town...”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The buffet here is outstanding, as good or better than the justly praised fare down the road at Milan. Lots of options, with solid versions of all the classics: Aloo Gobi, Tandoori, Daal, Saag, Masala, Naan bread and dessert offerings. They also serve up real samosas right there on the buffet. Not the small sort of samosa you might pick up frozen at the local Indian grocery and drop into the fryer, but the real deal- the large sort with big chunks of potato. Atmosphere is strictly strip-mall, but if you are out for Indian buffet then ambience probably isn't the selling point. Two thumbs way up.

• Visited September 2012