“Excellent Sushi in C'ville!”
Review of Now and Zen

Now and Zen
Ranked #109 of 567 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Went for lunch and was pleasantly pleased. Ordered a tarantula roll on the suggestion of others and was a mistake! Thought I was hungry and ordered way more than I should have. The role was big enough for two of us. Because it's a small restaurant, it takes a little bit longer for the food. However, it's worth it!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I recently tried Now & Zen for the first time. It knocked my socks off. The sushi was deliciously fresh, beautifully plated and well-priced!

My one beef with the restaurant was the service was on the slow side. It seemed like they only had one or two servers handling the whole dining room, which made for longer wait times to put in our order, etc. When we did see the server, however, he was incredibly friendly and attentive.

I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a fantastic sushi experience. The location just one block off the downtown mall makes it an easily accessible gem.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I checked several sites, including this one, for a sushi restaurant in Charlottesville. Was absolutely delighted to have selected this one. Our wait for a table was brief. The wait staff could not have been more helpful or attentive. The food was top notch and came out in a very timely manner. Hint: the waiter's suggestions as to quantity of food and best dishes were impeccable. Plan to share plates as you would at a tapas place. Be prepared for much larger servings than at the typical sushi restaurant. We enjoyed the Maui roll, the spicy roll, and others. The seaweed salad was great as was the salad suggested by our waiter. We enjoyed a large dinner, a round of drinks and spent less than $25 per person. We'll be going back regularly.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We went to Now and Zen for a friend's birthday (her choice). It was crowded and we had to wait a bit to be seated, but not terribly long for 6 people. We really enjoyed our server and he made great recommendations. The tables are very close together, but many restaurants have this type of set up, so it didn't bother any of us. The portions were very large. The food was fresh and well presented. We were not in a hurry, so I'll have to admit that I didn't notice any wait. Our server brought us our food a little at a time over an hour or so. We were sharing everything, so that worked out beautifully for us. Definitely the best quality sushi restaurant for the price in the area.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Sushi and entrees were very good. Knowledgeable server. Excellent presentation. Recommend the curry. Tables are New York close in small dining room.