“Lucked into this one”

Commonwealth Restaurant & Skybar
Reserve with OpenTable
Commonwealth Restaurant & Skybar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 566 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern Virginian Cuisine. Our emphasis is on providing the best local products with gracious service in a relaxed, fine dining atmosphere in our dining room while our rooftop bar allows for a more casual visits. Both Commonwealth Restaurant and Skybar serve the full menu until closing. Skybar has a late night menu available Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just happened to pick this restaurant on a whim while walking the pedestrian mall. Hesitated for a moment with some entrees approaching $30. Glad We went in. Two words for you: pork chop. Darned good. Served on a bed of cabbage sautéed in prosciutto fat with a side of red potatoes. I was sad when it was all gone. I would pay $25 for that meal again. A co-worker gave high marks to the Chilean sea bass which was on the high end at $27. Beer selection was good with a variety of local breweries. Our server, a senior at UVA, gave good advice and did not rush us. Did not try the desserts.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

New in town and friends recommended. Staff was very friendly and courteous. Although they do not take reservations, we were immediately seated on a Saturday night. We sat outdoors on a very pleasant evening, which added to the meal. Appetizers were amazing...the antelope was incredible. We also had the chorizo empenadas, and they were delicious, but a tad spicy for some. Dinner was very good as well. Skirt steak was tender and done well, which is not always easy for that cut. Jerk chicken was fantastic, very tender, especially for a boneless, skinless chicken breast. Desert was great and although the chocolate sampler plate was pricey, the chocolates were very good. Good craft beers on tap, although they were very heavy with IPAs. I thought the prices were very reasonable, especially given the quality of the food and location. Will definitely be back here again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nice place to people watch and have a few drinks. We did not eat, only sat upstairs for a relaxing evening (non-weekend).

Beverage menu was more than adequate.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My last review of Skybar was "Great atmosphere, High Prices." it's been nearly a year probably since I last visited Skybar and I vowed not to return for drinks due to the high prices but I have seen their Happy Hour 3pm-6pm M-F poster in their window for the past few weeks.

Got off work early on Friday so decided to give the place a shot again. Their Happy Hour is very good! Drafts for $3 (or $2 for the basics Bud, Bud Lt, etc), I think $4 well drinks as well. They probably have 6-7 drafts so not a lot but they are pretty good offerings and several local (Blue Mountain, Wild Wolf). $3 for a Blue Mountain Kolsch 151 where I would probably pay $5 elsewhere is a deal I will go any day.

Thanks for Skybar for this HH. You have earned my business (for happy hours) back again. I really appreciate you also extend the happy Hour through Fridays and it begins at 3pm. many places do HH starting much later in the day. you have it figured out leaving your peers catching up!

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

First I will say that I am in the restaurant business and like to eat at restaurants because I can appreciate what the staff has to do in order to make guests feel happy dining in a restaurant that executes everyday, it's hard work, but when a staff executes with aplomb it can be a thing of beauty, from timing, knowledge, and anticipation of the guests needs and mood. It is hard for even the best restaurants to execute all the time. Our dining experience was a very pleasant time spent, our server went out of his way to chat is up on the wine list, and was spot on with his recommendation of the Tempranillo with my succulent skirt steak. My wife thought her drink was a bit sweet and our server sensed something was not quite right and offered to take it away but I told him not to worry I will indulge in the ginger infused libation. The only draw back is the food and drink,which was all good to very good seemed a little over priced. Skirt steak tasted great, but it is skirt steak not Strip or tenderloin. That was not a big deal because we did have a lovely evening. But I would love to see high end products priced like they should but that also means pricing lower end products accordingly as well.
I will have to come here again because the staff is friendly without being pretentious and you can't put a price on that!