“Fine Dining on the Mall”

Commonwealth Restaurant & Skybar
Reserve with OpenTable
Commonwealth Restaurant & Skybar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 582 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern Virginian Cuisine. Our emphasis is on providing the best local products with gracious service in a relaxed, fine dining atmosphere in our dining room while our rooftop bar allows for a more casual visits. Both Commonwealth Restaurant and Skybar serve the full menu until closing. Skybar has a late night menu available Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was our first visit to the Commonwealth Restaurant, prior to a concert at the nearby Paramount Theater. By 6:30 PM on a stormy Friday evening, the restaurant had nearly filled up, so I imagine that finding a table on weekends may require a wait. They do not take reservations in advance.

The menu is varied and interesting. The food appears skillfully prepared and well presented. I would say that to our taste, some of the food was overly piquant, though not so much that we could not enjoy our dinner. The service was attentive, timely, efficient, and friendly. The decor and layout of the restaurant is very nice. If there is a down side about the ambiance, it would be the noise from the crowd -- not sure why so boisterous, or if it is the acoustics of the restaurant and the Skybar above. Also, the background music was unusual, though beyond that, I can't place the genre.

All in all, the location is a plus, and for more formal dining, certainly a place to try on your own. I think it rates well against most of Charlottesville's other fine dining establishments, though I personally would choose to dine elsewhere -- just as a matter of personal taste.

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Good, popular bar that is extremely convenient. Great outdoor nightlife, go to the second story patio for nightlife. Located in the downtown, outside mall.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have been to the Commonwealth twice before and enjoyed it each time. The food was good and the service attentive and good humored. This time we had such an unfortunate circumstance that it will be a cold day before we return.

My husband and I arrived on a weekday evening, without reservations. We are in our sixties. We looked respectable enough but clearly are not cool enough to be considered. We asked if they could accommodate us and the young man said he would check. He then asked the three men, perhaps in their forties, who came in after we did and were behind us, if he could help them. They said they didn't need help since they were just going to the Sky Bar, above the restaurant.

Another waiter, having overheard, stopped and told them the Sky Bar was closed for a special event but they could they were welcome in the downstairs bar. As soon as they were inside the unclosed door, the head waiter and the second waiter told them that there was one table left if they would like that. The head waiter then returned to us & said he was sorry, all tables were full. We could wait for 30 minutes or try another night. We elected not to wait and will not "try another night".

This is no way to treat customers you hope will return and so I assume that they don't harbor such hopes. Since we are not young (though I do think we are cool, I don't think the head waiter saw it), we assumed that they were trying to tell us something. Message received. We went to the C&O where we were well treated and had a very nice dinner. Try the C&O sometime. They have a better way of treating people.

1  Thank Helen P
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had an early dinner here during our visit early in April. I was glad we were early because with the high ceilings and hard surfaces it was getting very noisy by the time we left. The food was very good - duck breast for me and osso boco for my husband. Service was fairly attentive - about what I've come to expect in this sort of place. I imagine they have a fairly lively bar scene in the restaurant as well at the Sky Bar on the roof.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My experience at Commonwealth is limited to sitting at the bar with an adult beverage. BUT, if that's what you're looking for, you can't go wrong here. I was in last Friday night and my friend and I were able to get a seat at the bar, no waiting. I'm not a huge beer drinker, but I was in the mood for that and I told Nick (the bartender) what I liked. He recommended White Rascal to me, and it was fabulous - even better than the one I had told him I liked!

The indoor dining room is contemporary, and I hear the food is great. And the upstairs open air bar is *the* place to be when the weather warms up.