“Excellent Atmosphere”

Commonwealth Restaurant & Skybar
Reserve with OpenTable
Commonwealth Restaurant & Skybar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 582 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Modern Virginian Cuisine. Our emphasis is on providing the best local products with gracious service in a relaxed, fine dining atmosphere in our dining room while our rooftop bar allows for a more casual visits. Both Commonwealth Restaurant and Skybar serve the full menu until closing. Skybar has a late night menu available Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This is a great place to come with friends, a spouse, or your entire family. They have an extensive wine & beer list, and an eclectic menu. The atmosphere is warm and friendly, surrounded by dark wood furnishings and candlelight. My entire family came here on Christmas Eve and everyone enjoyed their meal...especially the duck and pork chops. I am vegetarian and felt there could have been more for me to choose from, but I thoroughly enjoyed my salad of romaine hearts, pistachios, and orange slices. As for dessert, their flowerless chocolate cake is one of the most divine things I've ever tasted. The outside is just barely baked and the inside is filled with gooey delicious rich chocolate. Try it paired with the ginger ice cream, an understated blend of cool creamy goodness laced with bits of crystalized ginger and a hint of vanilla.

Overall, a great place on the downtown mall. The upstairs sky bar is a nice place to meet up with friends and relax on the comfy couches.

1  Thank Annashapiro

Reviewed February 7, 2012

We try and dine around since we own a B&B and are always asked for restaurant advice. Here in C'ville it's so difficult to suggest just one so we have a list that we keep updating.

The Commonwealth is new and located on the downtown mall. It has a rich and cozy atmosphere with very cool designed booths. The bartender was great and friendly as was the hostess and wait staff.

We had a decadently rich and delicious dinner with an affordable wine from the wine list. Can resoundly recommend this new place, and can't wait for the warmer weather to try the upstairs Sky Bar and see the view!

Reviewed February 1, 2012

Terrific modern urban decor and very good creative food. Go in good weather and the glass walls slide away to give you a sidewalk view of the downtown mall. Could become a regular.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We showed up unannounced on a Saturday night around 6:30 p.m. We sat at the "chef's table" which is merely a community table, no view of kitchen and the full menu was available. The staff is incredibly friendly and efficient without being pesky. I had a super martini with chipotle vodka, I think it was called "hidden dragon". Son had "the best duck ever!", husband had fish, I had a lamb dish and all of us were very pleased. I think we'd go back but at a less busy time. The noise level bothered me a great deal. My husband and son did not mind it at all.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

I had the boar chops with gooseberries for dinner and the Comonwealth salad with horseradish mashed potatoes, which were delicious; other members of our group had salmon, which they said was excellent, too. Service could not have been better from the moment we walked in the door.