“Try this one out!”

Description: (434) 244-0217
Keswick
“Try this one out!”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Husband and I went to Tempo, lured by the $29 prix fixe 3 course menu. The decor is what first strikes you - black and white cow print booths with red cushions. Very plush, comfortable and hip. Music is cool, not intrusive. Menu limited but we had no problem choosing something. i went with the prix fixe - beet salad with pistachio - a tad heavy on the vinegar for my taste but still delicious - the rib eye - a little too much fat on the plate but tasty - and the potatoes - finely diced and flavorful. I chose the pecan bar for dessert. It arrived on a caramel sauce with a small scoop of ice cream. Yummy.
Both the owner and his father visited our table at opportune times for chats. the owner previously owned and operated La Fleurie in town, which was rated the number 1 restaurant last year. He sold it to open Tempo for something less stuffy and more fun. I'd say he got it. Oh, and FYI, he worked with Ducasse in Paris. Not shabby credentials.
My husband ordered from the regular menu. He had a salmon (ceviche or crudo or capaccio, cannot recall). It arrived in a martini glass. In the bottom and gracing the top was beet gelatin! Inventive. Then there was a type of savory avocado pudding with the raw salmon in it. Not only was it striking to the eye, it was delicious. He then had the wild mushroom tart which was beautifully presented, like a deconstructed pot pie almost - and excellent in flavor. Husband had the house chardonnay which I found to be flat, but he was happy with. I had a glass of prosecco, a cocktail of which I cannot recall the exact name.It was light and summery.
I would highly recommend this place if you want something different among the myriad wonderful cville restaurants. It is pricey unless you go with the prix fixe. Our bill came to $91 with tax which did include 3 alcoholic beverages. We really enjoyed our visit and will definitely go back.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I love Tempo!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We actually ate dinner at the Commonwealth before we went to Tempo just have drinks and check it out, since we hadn't been there before. The bartender, Andrew, mad amazing crazy drinks, the kind that are too complicated to make at home. We then tried some type of fruit and meat appetizer where the watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew were translucent. It was EXCELLENT! The appetizer was so good, and the food we saw delivered to the other table looked so good, we decide to split an entree after being there about an hour longer. We split a steak, just to see if the main courses were as good as the appetizer to see if would come back for dinner with friends sometime. The steak was amazing with some sort of type of brussel sprout leaves that tasted very good - Note: I HATE brussel sprouts so to call these very good, if you like brussel sprouts - at all - I am sure they are outstanding.

Besides the food, the ambiance was great and the barstools are probably the most comfortable in Charlottesville.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“One of Charlottesville Best”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Although Tempo has not been around for long, it has become one of my favorite dining spots. The food is always full of taste, well presented and a great value. The service is always top-notch especially Sasha who adds such a personal touch. I hope more people will experience the quiet surroundings, the excellent food and great service Tempo offers.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank gbenford
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Fantastic Charlottesville, VA Restaurant Experience”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Run - don't walk - to Tempo! It has it all: a wonderful chef, great service and perfect setting. You'll love it!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a total experience”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Tempo's cuisine is rightly praised as the top end of Euro-fusion available in this area. On our family get together we noticed, however, that the service was unusually fine, not just for Charlottesville, but for U.S. restaurants in general. Tempo has made a point of service. Much emphasis is placed on training the wait staff under the experienced hand of our server, Siobhan. She is the model of of appropriate service: attentive but not intrusive, knowledgeable but not overbearing. Our lovely meal --food, service, and ambiance-- is not one that we will soon forget. Bravo!

• Visited August 2012