“Stay clear” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Charlottesville/University Area

Days Inn Charlottesville/University Area
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
virginia
“Stay clear”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2006

Stayed here in July 06. AC didn't work, just blew air. Person at desk could not help and was only there to check you in or out. the bedspread had holes that looked like cigarette burns and this was a non-smoking room. The air filter in the room was covered with junk. No wonder the AC didn't work. Standing in the tub was like standing on a water bed. Water was trapped between the old tub and the "new" liner. Don't even want to think what was growing in there. On a busy steet, so lots of steet noise.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank Travelten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2006

My daughter, wife and I stayed here one night. My daughter is applying to UVA for admission in the fall of 07. We were on a several city/school tour so we did not want to spend a lot of money on hotels. This hotel was $30 cheaper then Hampton/Holiday Inn Express, etc.. We made a mistake with this hotel. In short, low rate, but horrendous hotel from A-Z. Hopefully, my daughter is admitted to UVA (we loved the school), but we will never be back to the Day's Inn. There are many, many other chioces in the UVA area--I highly recommend you NOT make the Days Inn one of yours.

• Liked — Low Price
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Tips/Secrets — Check other hotels in the area--even if they cost more
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank PaulTravels
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

I had read the other reviews of this motel, but was forced into a last minute reservation because of no vacancies in other motels. Everything I read was correct down to the horrendous air conditioner in the ceiling that sounded like it was goiing to take off everytime it started up. However, it only worked one night of our 2 night stay. We were sweltering the 2nd night. The first night was sleepless thanks to a car horn alarm that went off at 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. with continuous beeps. The car should have been towed away until the malfunction was addressed. But NO! we were awakened at the crack of dawn! It is nice to have a cheaper rate, but the one thing a motel should provide is a good nights sleep. I can deal with the old bathtub and not so clean floors, but need at least 6 hours of sleep. We did enjoy the big outdoor pool, but did not see anyone testing the ph or scrubbing the "ring" around the tiles. Not sure it is well maintained.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2006

Oh my God! Where to begin. When we entered the room we were hit by sweltering heat and a musty, moldy stench. The a/c was trying to work, unfortunately all we could get was a semi-warm draft coming out. Apparently the motel had equipment failure and the a/c's were not working anywhere in the motel. It got to be so hot in the rooms that we had to leave and drive around at midnight using the car's air conditioning. The heat in the room actually caused me to have an asthma attack. We finally got back to the room and tried to settle in for the night. However there was a semi-truck parked on the street with it's engine running all through the night.
After about 1 a.m. we called it quits and headed across the street to the Holiday Inn. They were absolutely fantastic there and put us up for the night charging us the same price as the Days Inn. We will never stay here again. If you risk it, good luck.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2005

If you want to stay cheap, you can't go wrong. Very close to UVA (provided you drive), next to a Red Lobster, opposite KFC and a bank. But the room itself needs a lot of work. Carpets are dirty, the bathroom is bearable. A/C makes a lot of noise. It's a motel, so there is noise from outside whenever anyone passes by. Did I mention its cheap?

• Stayed August 2002
1 Thank ahs4y
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2005

I read the reviews of this hotel before travelling and was a little anxious before my arrival. BUT, I found it to be a really, really good hotel! Perhaps things have drastically improved since the other reviews but I cannot think of one single thing to complain about. I booked early and got a really good deal for my four-night stay (plus the exchange rate with the £ helped), my room was incredibly spacious, very clean and the large bed was very comfortable. The staff were very, very friendly and helpful. I am British and have stayed in some terrible budget hotels in London - this was luxury in comparison! All in all, it was a very enjoyable stay and I would highly recommend it!!

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Nic7510
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

Had I read the other 5 reviews, I would have run away from this motel. I didn't and have finished two three-day stays there over the past month. Try as I might, I didn't see anything that would cause me to rate this hotel as low as others. The room was clean and the second time, a week ago, there was free wifi. I didn't try the pool, but I saw folks sitting around it every night. The exercise room was small, but adequate. My only real interaction with staff was when my TV remote went bad. I told the front desk in the morning and by the time I was back in mid-afternoon, it had been repaired. And on two occasions, I saw staff members walking the grounds picking up loose trash, etc. It's still a Days Inn, but perhaps new management or a new attitude?

• Stayed July 2005