“Billing nightmare”

Days Inn Charlottesville/University Area
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were planning to stay here, but friends for the conference we were going to convinced us that we should try elsewhere (we went to Best Western). Unfortunately for us, the Days' Inn hotel manager, Amy, did not record our cancellation (Monday before weekend check-in) or provide us with a cancellation confirmation number. So, returning from our conference at UVA, we saw that we had been charged for a full two nights' stay at Days Inn.

The charge is in direct conflict with their policy for "no-shows" (which I submit that we were not, having cancelled over the phone previously), which is to charge for the first night's stay only. Days' Inn should not be charging us for the full stay when we did not check in.

Furthermore, they should not be charging us at all, since we cancelled over the phone (a cancellation for which they apparently kept no record). When we called to resolve this issue, one of the desk attendants said he would reverse the charges. We waited a week, saw the charge was still on the card, and called back. The contact person, now the manager, hung up on my husband, claiming poor reception, and so we called back after a few minutes. This time, Amy pretended 1) not to have a record of our stay or of the earlier call from my husband (minutes ago), 2) that she only had a booking for "Stephanie" (neither of our names) for the relevant dates, 3), that we had signed in (! we never set foot near the hotel), and 4) that I was not understanding the cancellation policy.

When I pointed out she could not charge us for 2 days, even if we were "no-shows", she started yelling that she couldn't help if I wouldn't listen to her, and when I asked her to stop yelling, she hung up.

I then called the Days' Inn customer care, who have promised they would look into the matter.

I would never stay at a Days' Inn after this. And definitely, I would recommend that all steer clear of Charlottesville Days' Inn. If you do think of staying here, and you want to cancel, don't trust the front desk to record it; in fact, don't trust them to record anything, including calls, or record of complaints. I can't speak to the quality of the rooms or restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was pleased by the price relative to other hotels in the area. I was then impressed by the amenities in the room but was completed floored by the poor service from the breakfast and employee running the breakfast. My wife and I showed at 8:45 and the waffle-maker has been turned off. I went to the front desk and the attendant there(not the manager) said that they started breaking down at 8:30. What the? If breakfast is supposed to be until 9am, then all items should be available until 9am. By the way, the employee handling the breakfast did not speak english or at least not to me(maybe was using that as an excuse to not provide service) The other items(eggs,biscuits,gravy) were either cold or extremely old. The biscuits resembled baseballs in texture rather than something edible. Finally, it seemed that the personal hygiene items like lotion were recycled. Had it not been for the aforementioned facts, would've given a better rating. Still, can't be the price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple