“AMAZING”

Toyko Rose
Ranked #309 of 655 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is hands down the BEST sushi in town! Great atmosphere and friendly staff. We will definitely return.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (29)

Reviewed April 2, 2019

I remember when Tokyo Rose first opened. It wasn’t a great restaurant, but they had decent Japanese food and service. I had just returned to the area after several decades away, so I thought I would give them a try. Big mistake. The service was indifferent, and the food was just terrible. The gyudon tasted okay, but was very fatty. The yakitori appeared to be boiled, then slathered with a thick sauce. Sorry, but the “yaki” in yakitori means grilled, not boiled. Very disappointing. Sushi was passable, but the fish looked like it had been cut with a saw. Not appetizing at all.

After decades in Tokyo and Honolulu, I’m a tough critic when it comes to Japanese food. Tokyo Rose falls very short on service, food authenticity and quality.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank gsn794
Reviewed July 16, 2018

Fortunately, my mother "sat on my shoulder" shouting "Kill her with kindness!!!" So, we did. Service was brusque and, well, grumpy. The food was very good. House salad dressings are so delicious! Sashimi cut to perfection and the roll was tasty! Their Age Dashe Tofu is a favorite! The location and quality fish is worth the trade off for Ms. GrumpyLady. She kinda grows on you after awhile.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

This was our fourth or fifth visit since moving to the Charlottesville area one year ago. We have been very happy with a variety of bento box meals including chicken, shrimp and recently salmon. The seaweed salad is delicious as is the miso soup. The meal is generous and we are usually greeted like old friends. We continue to visit as we love Japanese food.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

I’ve had lunch at Tokyo Rose several times. The food had always been good but the service not so much. I’ve had to send back meals here several times when the meal delivered to the table was not what was ordered. They are typically grumpy when pointing this out, but in most recent visit, they were confrontational and did not want to provide what I had ordered. The chef who delivered the meal was rude and didn’t seem to care. I won’t eat here again and would provide that unless you are prepared to put up with bad service, visit one of the several other Japanese restaurants in town.

Date of visit: February 2018