“This place needs a redo”
Review of Jefferson Theater

Jefferson Theater
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

The Jefferson gets really good acts and once in a blue moon, we will trek over the mountain to see one. I love the inside of the theater. It's really a beautiful old building. I have two major issues.

First, the seats. I understand that you want to make money and the more seats you have, the more money you can make. If you are over the age of 10, you are not going to enjoy sitting in any seat in the balcony. Your knees are going to be firmly planted into the seat in front of you and if you or your neighbor weighs over 100lbs, you're going to be practically sharing a seat. I cannot stress enough how HORRIBLE the seating is here.

Second, the rails in the balcony. Nothing makes me more nervous than watching the drunk girl dance and twirl around a railing that is maybe three feet high. I really do not know how someone hasn't plunged over the railing yet. I admire that you have put up taller rails in two places, but if you (The Jefferson Theater) are going to keep serving alcohol to people that have clearly reached (and surpassed) their limit, put up some taller railings. We have been here several times and this happens every single time.

When we were there Saturday (1/18) to see The Steep Canyon Rangers, there were so many drunk kids, it ruined it for me. Maybe I'm getting older, but my idea of seeing a great show involves paying for a seat I can sit comfortably in and actually hear the band when they sing a slower, more quiet song. I just felt like I was at a frat party. I will have to really think about going back.

3  Thank dbae27

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I was in Charlottesville for a few days and got the opportunity to enjoy two concerts. I love this venue. Great acoustics and a cool vibe. It is centrally located and the talent they book is amazing. I am now following them on Twitter and Facebook, as I want to know of all future concerts.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We went to see Sweetwater Band and had a wonderful time. Not really many places to sit so be prepared to either get there early or be on the dance floor.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Amazing concert variety and the tickets are not too expensive. Also the size is pretty small so you can always see the band.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The theater is located on Charlottesville's pedestrian mall and is the ideal location to see a concert / show. Limited seating but a great sound system.