“Treat yourself, go on, go on, go on, go on !”

Monticello Country Ballooning
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Central Virginia's premier hot air ballooning company offering daily sunrise and sunset flights with an all-inclusive flight package.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Northern Ireland
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Treat yourself, go on, go on, go on, go on !”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Albert Santos-Dumont wrote "The Balloon seems to stand still in the air while the earth flies past underneath" - he must have travelled with Mandy ! On my bucket list, after intense internet research ( which means not just Tripadvisor) I chose Monticello Country Ballooning. Mandy is fastidious over safety & even if you have only one specfic window of opportunity or date in mind she will not fly unless the conditions are good - so have a few workable times chosen. Whilst I was prepared to get up at 5am for it I was delighted to be able to have the perfect day for a 5pm lift off. It was just beautiful. We shared with another couple ( which was great for taking pics of each other ) & Scott followed on the ground taking photos of us on take-off & whilst we were in the air ( which were presented immediately post flight whilst we had champagne after). My partner was quite nervous but was calmly reassured pre-flight. We were able to be part of the preparations & packing up of the balloon which just added to the experience. & I have to say the landing was perfect, easier than stepping off an escalator. Superb for any type of special occasion, wonderful for just celebrating life ! Thank you both.

Visited September 2012

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“August Balloon Trip over Charlottesville”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Mind blowing fun!! Highly recommend it to everyone except those afraid of heights!! I've never been Hot Air Ballooing before and I consider myself an adventurous well travelled my dear cousin totally surprised me with an afternoon adventure. I couldn’t imagine a more thrilling way to see any city especially the green, rolling hills of C'ville and all the lakes, beautiful homes and vineyards. Mandy, the Owner and Lead Operator flew so well, I think she could do it in her sleep and she has a capable crew providing ground support so I always felt safe. Afterwards we all celebrated with delicious bottle of bubbly. What a fantastic experience. I can't wait to do it again!

1 Thank Lovewaterandhistory
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“No better way to see this beautiful area!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I surprised my wife for our 6th anniversary. Having just moved to C'ville a few weeks before, I'd noticed hot air balloons on the horizon and this became a great idea to celebrate our anniversary. Mandy worked with me to make the event a complete surprise-- my wife had no idea and was absolutely elated when we arrived to the launch site and she saw what I had up my sleeve. Everything was top-notch and professional-- all launch preps, pre-flight briefing, and narrative of the countryside as we flew above led all the more credence that we were in the hands of a highly experienced pilot. From launch to seeing our reflection in the reservoir to dipping down to grab leaves at tree top level to a perfect landing, everything went smoothly and was completely enjoyable-- it was one of the greatest experiences we've ever shared. And, to top it all off, we had a champagne toast just as the sun dipped a perfect nod to the day's end. Mark, our ground crew host, took lots of pictures and had everything perfectly in order for the balloon recovery. They couldn't have made it any better!
My hat is off to them-- thanks so much-- and we'll definitely plan another trip in the future!
Chris K (Colonel, USAF (ret))

Forest, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Flight, but NOT All-Inclusive”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The flight was wonderful, and we selected this company because they billed themselves as "all-inclusive." While we thoroughly enjoyed the professionalism and friendliness of Mandy and her team, and the flight was spectacular, we have not been provided the photos from our June 24 flight, as advertised on their website and as promised. Mandy promised to email the photos to us, but to-date (Sept 7) there have been none provided. Repeated attempts to contact Mandy have been fruitless, without one response. Feel free to enjoy the ride with Mandy and her team, but don't expect it to include photos of your flight, even if advertised to the contrary.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Bryan P
Bethesda, MD
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent, Professional, Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I went to Charlottesville with my girlfriend to propose to her. When I heard about the ballooning through my hotel, I was put in touch with Mandy. I traded several emails with her in advance of the outing and discussed my plans and how best to do it. She was very helpful, with long explanatory emails. The day of the event (it was an evening trip) she called me and made sure I could talk before discussing the plans, which was sensitive of her. She then coordinated the timing and the location via text with me. The actual ballooning was wonderful. She and her team were very professional, but also very explanatory of everything. This was nice because we were very inquisitive. When it came time to propose, she made sure we were high enough so that I could do so without the firing of the gas (which can be loud) and she took amazing photographs of the proposal. The photos she took (with my camera in the carriage) as well as the ones her colleague took from the ground (with his camera) were great and were so nice to have later given the whirlwind nature of proposing. It was so nice to go back and see all the pictures. And, Mandy is especially nice because she will burn the pictures to a CD immediately after the trip for you. And then, have a wonderful bottle of champagne to toast with. Great job, Mandy, a wonderful (and very professional) experience.