“Fantastic authentic szechuan food”
Review of Taste of China

Taste of China
Ranked #152 of 567 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The horrible chinese buffets we have here are always packed, but for some reason, one of the best Chinese places on the east coast is half empty at lunch and they give you so much variety. Great hot/sour soup egg roll, chow mein, and entree at a fair price.

Dinner is a splendid affair with an amazing array of choices. I like the Ma La dishes and the beef with green chiles.

1  Thank PhiloFarnsworth

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Excellent food at a reasonable price. Wish they had regular mustard, but what they did have was a super spicy wasabi mustard. Much loved by the spicy fans at our table. The menu is expansive and even offers reasonably-prices "American Chinese" options for diners less interested in the authentic Chinese dishes. Hot and sour soup is amazing. So are eggrolls and dumplings. Many dishes seem salty, but are delicious nonetheless. Makes me hungry to go back right now.
Service is friendly and adequate during slow times, but leaves a bit to be desired during busy times. However, they aren't phased or stressed by it and the food arrives piping hot and equally abundant and delicious.
Don't miss out on some of the best Chinese in Charlottesville. You HAVE to visit Taste of China for sure!!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Peter Chang started this place and really taught them well. The crispy beef or chicken comes without a sauce and is outstanding. This is not your usual Chinese food, it is way more complicated than that. Bring your taste buds for a real party.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My family and I consider ourselves foodies, and when we think of a Chinese restaurant with this kind of name, we think - uses MSG and tastes horrible. Despite this, we decided to try this place, and I am so happy that we did! The food was just wonderful! Everything we got we loved. The scallion pancakes ddn't look aything like the ones we usually get, but they were just as good! My husband got this pork dish, and evry 5 seconds, we heard him murmer "phenomenal... phenomenal." He says it i one of the best dishes he has ever had. The shrimp lo mein was impeccable and the soup dumplings were so good! You would never think it, but this was really authentic food, and I would definitely love to comeback if I am in the area again. Besides this, the service was amazing and the atmosphere was just right! It's not too often that I leave having had a taste of China, but here I did.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

The restaurant has a diverse menu and the staff was exceedingly pleasant and friendly. The atmosphere is your plain vanilla standard American Chinese restaurant. The portions are large and we ended up ordering too much as a result. We all thought the food was extremely good and the eggplant in particular was excellent. We came expecting the usual American take on Chinese food and were pleasantly surprised to find something very different. Will definitely be back.