“Great iltalian food”

Ranked #11 of 552 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Description: An intimate, lively neighborhood restaurant located in the charming Belmont district of Charlottesville, VA, tavola offers inspired rustic Italian dining through the use of quality ingredients and a simple philosophy fostered by a staff passionate about food, wine, craft cocktails and personal service. Due to our limited seating, we do not take reservations outside of special events.
“Great iltalian food”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The restaurant is small, but lively. They need a bigger exhaust fan in the kitchen because you smell of garlic when you leave. Service is friendly, especially the front of the house. My wife had the bib lettuce salad which she liked very much. I had the grilled shrimp wrapped in pancetta with a small arugula and tomato salad. It was light and had nice flavor. The grilled pancetta added nice texture but not much flavor. All of the entrees were terrific. My wife had the beet risotto with scallops, I had the pasta with carmelized eggplant and chili and our son had the bronzino. For desert we shared limoncello cheesecake. The cheesecake was OK, but there was no lemon flavor. The almond or amaretto flavor in the graham cracker crust overpowered any lemon flavor. Yet overall it was terrific and we would return if in the area again.

Long Island, NY
“Excellent Meal”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We arrived at the restaurant early (5:30) since they do not accept reservations. There is limited seating but they were able to find us a table which was meant for six and we were told that it was probable they would seat other diners with us. We were agreeable to that and very shortly another couple joined us. The people who joined us were from the area and were very pleasant. They were able to give us useful information about the restaurant and things to do in Charlottesville.

The food and service were very good. My wife chose one of the daily specials - mezzaluna - and I had branzino. Overall, it was an enjoyable meal and I thought the prices were reasonable (but I am used to metropoliatn NY prices - some other reviewers seemed to think the prices were high).

• Visited October 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
“I could eat here every week”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The restaurant itself is small with limited seating. It's good to get there close to when it opens. The menu changes on a regular basis. It is fine, Italian dining with a nice variety of dishes. A lot of care is put into the preparation of the meal and each dish is a delight.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank laurava
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Excellent food but pricey”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Service was great although for a small restaurant with 4 tables of 2, 3 tables of 4, 1 table for 6 and 1 for 8 I thought nine employees were a bit much. Maybe this is why the prices for pasta are so high. My husband and I loved the Pappardelle Bolognese (house made pasta with traditional bolognese sauce with timbercreek organics beef and pork, grana padano.) I actualy ate the whole thing. It was very good. But for some reason it just doesn't feel right to pay $19 for a bowl of pasta. The wine list is very good. I selected a glass of Michel-Schlumberger "la brumme" 2010 and was delighted. It was a very smooth and crisp chardonnay. A little sweeter than I usually like but, again, I drank the whole thing! We completed with two good cups of coffee and a homemade Tiramisu" also very tasty. I gave this 4 stars because although the food was very good, it lacked presentation and the price was high in comparison to many other excellent Italian restaurants in the area.

• Visited September 2012
Virginia
“Really Good Food !”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I have dined here several times. Each meal has been well prepared and very tasty. This is not your regular spaghetti and meatballs kind of place. The food is truly exceptional. Be sure to arrive early or you shall be waiting. The noise level makes it hard to visit with any dining friends and the wine list is quite pricey but it is still one of our favorite spots.

• Visited July 2012