“Traveling North/South? Stop here along the way”

The Carving Board Cafe
Ranked #363 of 540 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
“Traveling North/South? Stop here along the way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Understand my family and I were heading home to PA from SC and found this place en route home via TripAdvisor. This was last July! The fact that this review is a bit late is testament to the fact that we are all still recalling that day we stopped for what is one of the best sandwich places - period.

My wife got the turkey and she rarely eats meat and said it was the best sandwich. My son and I ordered the brisket sandwiches and all I'll say is the only sound made by either of us were sounds of eating pleasure! Every component of the sandwich was perfectly balanced.

I'm only sorry they are 5+ hours away otherwise I'd be there at least once a week! Can't wait to return

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Outstanding in house made sandwiches!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is by far mine and my wife's favorite lunch spot in Charlottesville. My favorite sandwich is the chicken salad on kaiser with salt & pepper. Nice big chucks of fresh chicken (I think they boil the chicken) with a hit of sweetness. I think they use honey. Wife loves the Cafe Turkey on white.

It's true they have limited space and if you don't get there early enough you will be standing in line but there's general a quick rotation of customers and rarely have I not found a seat. Lines can be long but wait is not bad. Ownership changed a few years back but not very much changed.

Overall, outstanding food and amazing service!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank TomCat27
Keswick, Virginia
“Great place for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

As they are only open for lunch. The sandwiches are generous and tasty. The fries are great. Get there early as there is limited seating and always a line after 12:15. We love their Reuben and Philly Cheese steaks.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Road Warriors M
pembroke pines florida
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

This Is a local shop, perfect for a casual lunch, where everything is homemade. There is no table service, so you order and get the food yourself, but it is worth it.

There is a big menu of soups, salads and sandwiches. I chose a roast beef sandwich on sourdough bread. It was probably the best sourdough bread I have ever had. You can customize your sandwich with your choice of veggies, cheeses and sauces, or choose one of their specialty sandwiches. I ordered the coleslaw as a side, and it was a huge portion, homemade and delicious.

The service was teriffic. This is a place I would frequent often if I lived in Charlottesville!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank joyful125
South Lyon, Michigan
“Not what we expected - but very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

The person serving us was outstanding - what a terrific customer focus! Food was fine. But we had mistakenly expected more of a restaurant setting. Instead it's in a strip mall with little ambiance - just a few tables and an ordering board. Worked out fine - just different from what we had expected.

Visited June 2012