“Huge Improvement, fun evening”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #124 of 541 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 250 West
Description: At Clifton, it's all about delicious discovery. Our culinary team offers guests the chance to taste the world with daily departures designed to thrill the palette and capture the imagination. The elegant atmosphere and attentive service at Clifton is perfect for transforming any occasion into a special one. Executive Chef Tucker Yoder regularly assembles tantalizing tasting menus that turn a meal at Clifton into a fine food lover’s dream. Clifton diners can also have front row seats for the culinary action at the Chef’s Table. Designed for groups of 6 to 10 people, the Chef’s Table puts you literally front and center, allowing you to watch the culinary team make their magic.
East Coast
“Huge Improvement, fun evening”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We sat outside, tried the tasting menu (great deal, but took longer than we thought...) and had personal service from the waiter/bartender. The atmosphere was relaxed, and many of the dishes were top notch. Not all the drinks were but they were happy to take them back and adapt them. Do try them if you like unusual combinations though.

• Visited August 2013

Washington, Virginia
“a nightmare meal”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

i've known clifton for over a decade, and it is so disappointing to see what's happened here. we went to the "chefs in the garden" seating and it was simply horrible. we paid $380 for two, and my friend accurately described the one dish as tasting like soap. the "pig skin" dish looked like worms in a bowl. i couldn't eat it. folks were literally ridiculing the meal. "tastes like charcoal" -- describing the one wine chosen. it's so sad to see what has happened to what was once a truly special (amazing) place. that charm still exists in places - in spite of the horrible remodel inside, which sterilized a classic plantation. they couldn't even make a champagne cocktail. and the coffee i ordered never came. yeah, a nightmare meal. good thing that i had some interesting friends to share the moment.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank mattva1
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review on us TripAdvisor.

We honestly do appreciate all feedback, it sounds like really old world weary cliché, but here we do act on feedback.

We are sorry that there appears to be nothing that you liked about the dinner here, which we are honestly surprised about. The other seventy guests were thrilled, we received a lot of compliments from both our regular guests and also first time diners

We received absolutely rave reviews from the majority of the guests, who loved the setting in the garden with the crape myrtles blooming with the sparkling bistro lights overhead. The eight courses by four different Chefs were likewise appreciated by everyone.

We regret that you did not like the refurbishment of the interior of the Clifton Inn from eight years ago, which has been described by many as charming, or to quote from Southern Living “…possesses the elegance and historical charm that makes you feel like you’ve taken a step into Gone With The Wind….” Our website gives a very good representation of the property, but we are surprised you feel so strongly about it, as this dinner was served exclusively outside.

We genuinely listen to all of our guests; from them we endeavor to improve and honestly strive to be the best that we can be. So like any good business, we change – our menu changes, amenities change etc etc. according to feedback. We will be the first to admit that sometimes we get it wrong, also sometimes people do not like change, but we are always trying to do our best for the guest, and always will do.

We sincerely hope that on your next return to Charlottesville that you will pay us a visit and give us a second chance.

Kind regards,

Niall Reid
Norfolk, Virginia
“Great Dinner for a Special Occasion!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I'm a bit shocked at some of the recent reviews of this restaurant. Outside of the Inn at Little Washington, this is probably the best restaurant I've been to in Virginia.

I went recently with my wife to celebrate her birthday. We decided to do the chef's tasting menu as well as the wine pairing. Our server was also the bartender - I'm sorry that I can't remember his name because he was phenomenal. The wines he chose to pair with the courses were all spot on.

The tasting menu was described as 10-12 courses, but I think ours had even more than that. I won't be able to recall every course, but they were all delicious in their own way. Some highlights: I'm not a mushroom person, but one of the courses was a vegetable dish with local mushrooms foraged by the chef and his family that day. Very cool! My wife's favorite course was the scallop, which was great. Mine was a stuffed pasta dish with jumbo lump crab meat.

We know that you need to take your time with meals like this, so when the meal ran close to three hours we were not surprised. In fact, we loved every minute of it. Our table looked out to the mountains and there was a bit of a lightning storm going on, so it made for a wonderful backdrop.

This place is definitely worth a visit. Ignore the recent reviews - the food is wonderful and the experience is unforgettable.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank John K
Miami, Florida
“Exceptional in Every Way!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

If you are someone who appreciates a complete experience, you will love Clifton. The location immediately takes you out of your day-to-day routine. On the grounds are gardens, plants, and flowers...all of which may appear in your meal that very evening. And the restaurant itself is in a beautiful house full of Southern charm and gentility at every turn.

The decor, staff, and service add to the enjoyment of the evening, but the highlight is definitely the incredible artistry of the dining experience created by Chef Tucker Yoder. Most recently, at the chef's counter, time stood still as our party enjoyed 20 courses, prepared before us with spontaneity, creativity, and amazing craftmanship. Each serving piece complimented its dish perfectly, and the wide variety of tastes, textures, and colors presented over the course of the evening came together into a cohesive, harmonious meal that will never be forgotten.

Of the many dishes enjoyed that evening, my overall favorite was the simple, but exquisite poached scallops over pasta. The flavors were clean and simple, and the scallops melted in my mouth. Generous, bite-sized scallops rested easily on the pasta, and everything was served off-center on a large, fresh, white dish. And because I absolutely love elderflowers, my second favorite was Tucker's presentation of rose petals with rose champagne elderflower granita accompanied by basil seed porridge and the first elderflower blossoms of the season.

On an evening when they were hosting a wedding reception in the main dining room, Tucker and his staff welcomed us into their kitchen with a warmth and hospitality that made us feel as if we were visiting the kitchen of long-time friends with all the time in the world to spend together.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank PGasior
JH, Wyoming
“High Expectations - Bad Experience”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed at the Inn in late May due in part to the rave restaurant reviews. Based on my experience and other recent bad reviews it appears that the "incredible chef" left a couple of months ago. In a way I am glad there is an explanation because while we are not "foodies" by any stretch my husband and I were both baffled as to how what we were served could be considered even average. As others have said the portions are small, but I understood that going in....what I did not expect was flavorless, poorly presented selections with up to 25 minutes between courses. It took us 2 hours to eat and I even returned one of my courses (soft shell crab) as it was practically inedible.
Server (Kara?) did a great job under the circumstances.
Hopefully they will sort this out sooner rather than later, but I am unlikely to return.

• Visited May 2013
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Sandy,

Thank you for taking the time to come and dine with us and write a review. Naturally we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience.

We do get a lot of rave reviews, as we really strive to make innovative dishes from local organic ingredients. Our aim is that each course must dazzle, be a feast for the taste buds but also for the eyes.

We also listen carefully to our customers, and we have instituteded some changes both on the kitchen and the service side so that your issues will not be repeated.

Niall Reid