“Good food with reasonable prices”

Basil Mediterranean Bistro
Ranked #91 of 545 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Basil Mediterranean Bistro & Wine Bar is located in the heart of UVA campus. Basil presents an enticing culinary experience, reflecting the rich regional diversity of the Mediterranean. We are proud to share our culinary philosophy, which advises us to slow down from our hectic lives and enjoy thoughtful, masterfully produced food with like minded people. Food is about creating harmony with the ingredients. We hope every dish tells you a story about the region. France, Greece, Italy, Lebanon, Spain & Turkey. All under one roof!
Maryland
“Good food with reasonable prices”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We were at Basil for a Saturday lunch. At first we weren't sure if it was open and still aren't sure if it was open. Whether it was or not, they sat us and we had a good experience. The restaurant was undergoing some renovations in the side room, so there was an odor or stain or varnish that permeated the restaurant. We had no problem with service as I've noted in other reviews because we were the only customers in the restaurant the entire time we were there. My son had eaten at Basil previously and he recommended the Phoenician tasting as a starter. We ordered it and each of us ordered a different Lebanese Pita roll-ups. I had the Gyro. It was good, but not the best I've ever had. The grape leaves / dolmas were good, but I don't think they were made fresh. The baklava we were given at the end of the meal was probably the best restaurant baklava I've had, and second only to my homemade baklava. No idea if it was made onsite or not. There was a nice crispness to it and it wasn't soggy from being inundated with honey or sugar water as is sometimes the case. My only criticism, and a criticism I have with many restaurants, is a amount of salt used in the food preparation.

Virginia
“One of my Charlottesville favorites!”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is quickly becoming my go to restaurant when I'm in the area. A varied menu with an excellent selection of Mediterranean treats. Amazingly, after four visits we haven't been disappointed with our choices and are looking forward to returning.
A bit on the noisy side but the excellent service and food far out weight the noise.
When the weather is suitable its a treat to eat out doors as the service and attention to detail was exceptional.
Truly a delightful experience.

Fairfax, Va.
“Absolutely Scrumptious!!!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We went to Basil this past weekend for our daughter's college graduation dinner. Even though we live out of the area (over an hour away) it is her FAVORITE restaurant! We have been there numerous times over the past 5 years and it never disappoints! The food is sooooo good- absolutely scrumptious! We had a larger group of people that evening and the food and service were superb! (Our waiter Shannon was excellent!) I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Basil to anyone.... whether you want a quick lunch, a great dinner, or to enjoy a special occasion there. The food is well priced and amazing!!! Thanks Basil Mediterranean for another fabulous meal.

“Average mediterranean food”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

The service was slow. The food cold. Not authentic mediterranean food. At best average. Too expensive for the food delivered.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“food is delicious but delivery is sketchy”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The food--can't say enough positive things about it! Delicious, well seasoned, fresh, tasty and an extensive menu to chose from. Eating in the restaurant is nice but parking is difficult as it is down near the Corner and university. I almost always order delivery but sometimes it gets to me in 25-30 minutes and once it took 5 hours.

• Visited September 2013