“My favorite restaurant in Charlottesville”
Review of The Local

The Local
Reserve with OpenTable
The Local is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 568 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I moved to the United States and Cville four years ago. The hostel where I was staying while looking for an apartment was in the Belmont neighborhood. The first night I arrived in my new hometown, the Local was the first place I stumbled upon. I sit at the bar and ordered a local beer and the local burger. Delicious. It was incredible. I remember thinking "wow, I walked in a random place in the street and it's one the best burgers I've ever had! If all the places are like this, I moved to the right place!" The local was also the place where I took my now-fiance for our first date. Of all the restaurants I've been, the Local is the one that has a special place in my heart. I go there every time I go back to Charlottesville. The gnocchi are great, the local burger is fantastic, the steaks and the trout are outstanding. The only small criticism I have is that when it gets really crowded the quality of the food lowers a little bit. If you can, go to the Local during the week. One of the best places in Virginia.

1  Thank emiguar

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Really neat restaurant in an old restored building in the Belmont neighborhood. Food and service always consistently very good. Food is local in line with the name which we like. JoAnn, a server who has been there since the beginning should be requested. She is the best. Our Son is in school at UVA and we eat here every time we visit from Richland County South Carolina.

1  Thank RichlandCoDistrict-8
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We visited The Local for a friends birthday party, which was hosted upstairs in a private room. The food offered included something to accommodate everyone, from Vegan to Meat eaters. The selection of Wine and Craft beer was very nice. It took us a while to accommodate to the local craft beer selection, but we had a couple locals that guided us in the right direction. The food was better than average and we love the farm to table restaurants and selection. Atmosphere for the group of 50 was great and enough room for dancing and included an outdoor balcony to enjoy the 1st day of spring like weather (fantastic)!

The downside was that the 2nd round of meatloaf that was served at the buffet was burnt, but the 1st round was very nice and tasty. I would recommend this as a very nice venue for a small to medium party. Staff was also very friendly and attentive.

1  Thank Jen J
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Great food in a casual atmosphere. Sit on the little terrace on a warm summer night and it feels like New Orleans while having some of the best gazpacho ever!

1  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Just finished the Acorn squash stuffed with quinoa and topped with cheese
Excellent and good size as well. Service was excellent ( thanks Seth)
Been many times always good a nice local place to enjoy

1  Thank larryE1234