“bed bugs and more”

Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Arlington, Virginia
“bed bugs and more”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were extremely disappointed with our stay last weekend at the Cavalier Inn. During the night we turned the lights on to discover bedbugs throughout the bed. We spent the rest of the night killing them and not sleeping a wink. While ripping off the sheets to kill the bugs we found underwear between the sheets. We were so totally disgusted and spent the next morning at the laundry mat cleaning everything to make sure we didn't bring them home. The front desk said they were "very sorry" and proceeded to tell us to go to a laundry mat- as if it happens all the time. To add insult to injury we had booked through hotels.com and so now we have to work through them to get our money back.

4 Thank Dodini2013
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your stay, we take all the comments and suggestions seriously, they let us know what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. We have already contacted Hotels.com for you. Although we had the room heat treated just in case, but we initially found nothing, our policy is to be proactive, the room had been occupied every day since mid-May and we had no complaints prior to your visit. The best of luck to you on your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our soccer team stayed at the Cavalier Inn over Labor Day weekend for a tournament. The property is an old exterior hallway motel located on UVA grounds. The lobby is average, but only one staff member checking people in, despite the property being fully booked (it was also UVA football home opening weekend). People were, at times, 3 and 4 deep in line waiting to check in. The room had double beds (most hotels now have queens), the furniture was scratched and scuffed, there was dust/mold on the tiles in the bathroom, the water at the sink was hooked up backwards, and only one trash can for the room (with three people staying for a weekend, it fills up quickly). There was little to no room to walk in the room. The bathroom drain was broken -- the mechanism totally pulled out of the tub. Even broken, the water did not drain properly and the tub filled up. Another member in our group had a tub drain that would not stay open while showering.

When housekeeping made up the room the next morning, it looked as if a 5 year old had made the bed (wrinkled, covers crooked, spreads and pillows not put back on the bed). Others in our group did not have any towels -- apparently, the hotel ran out.

Breakfast was on the poor end of average. One day, the juice was good, the next day it was watery. Frozen/reheated cheese omelettes one day, sausage gravy the next. Frozen bagels (think Lender's), cold biscuits (again, frozen and thawed), hard boiled eggs, canned fruit, cereal, pastries and the mandatory make a waffle station rounded out the breakfast offerings. We would have been better off going to The Villa next door.

We were charged $160/night for our room -- what we got was as good as Motel 6 or Super 8. Total rip-off. If this property is a part of UVA, the university needs to step in and make some major updates. I was astounded that one of Virginia's premier universities is affiliated with a property as run down at this. It is a definite black mark against the university and the company that manages this property.

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms...just average.
1 Thank Loretta K
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, we server many guest each day and we try to make everyone's stay a pleasant one, it is very disappointing to see that you were not happy with your stay Your stay was on a football weekend where the rates are slightly higher, but they are even more expensive at the other hotels that are miles away, our hotel is older but the beds are new and they are doubles which is 3 inches shorter than a Queen bed on the top and side, if we put the queen beds in there would be less room space to move around. We are not a full service hotel with a restaurant all of our breakfast items do come in already prepared, as with all of the other hotels in the area that do not have restaurants, their eggs, omelets, sandwiches are also frozen, we also offer more items that what the bigger names hotels offer on their breakfast bar. I wish we could change your stay but we can’t, and I am truly sorry you were so disappointed. We wish you the best in your future travels and thank you again for giving your opinion

Travelers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Booked this hotel for one night. What a mistake! When we walked in to the room it had a smell of must and mold. The carpet was greasy and the beds looked like someone had slept in them the night before. I was exhausted and went to the shower, which had black mold growing in every corner. The mis-matched toiletries looked like they had been used before we arrived. My friend opened her bed to see a footprint looking stain on her sheets. Once I got in bed I felt a bite. I pulled back the sheets and found a flea on me! We asked to change rooms and were given a different room, but no partial refund or even a "sorry" from the front desk. The new room smelled better and we didnt' have fleas (to our knowledge), but everything else was the same. I got the impression that this place has bed bugs. Gross. Pay the extra $40 and stay at a hotel with better management.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I am sorry you felt like your stay was not to your standards, we take all comments and suggestions seriously, the carpets in our hotel are new they are cleaned on a continuous cycle so once all have been done the cycle starts all over, although our pest control company did not find flea's in the first room, we still had the room treated, We do not have bed bugs as you suggested, I believe you were given a refund, but like most other people they like to come on say things that are not true, I hope no one does that to your business, We wish you the best in your future travels.
Mount Airy, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Inn was clean, modern and comfortable, The entire staff from the front desk employees to the cleaning staff were friendly and helpful. There is definitely something to be said for southern hospitality! The continental breakfast had something for everyone and was replenished frequently. Great location within walking distance to many restaurants and the University. My family of four will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the open side are the best. Our room overlooked the pool, great room.
1 Thank WellTraveled202
Hello Mount Airy, Maryland

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, we appreciate your kind words, we like to hear from everyone so if there are things not up to guests expectations we can be sure and correct it right away. We hope to see you again soon on your next trip to Charlottesville
Bent mountain, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Signage is very poor. Not obvious at all, how to get into the parking lot. The room was fine. Very nice bed linens. Very clean. Very nice beds Almost inadequate shower flow. Internet service was a joke. It was incredibly slow. Very quiet AC, but you can't adjust it. No AC in the 5th floor lobby, though. When you get out of the elevator on the 5th floor, it was like entering a blast furnace. Don't go swimming! There is algae growing all over the walls. At first, I thought it was great, that the water was not overly chlorinated until I noticed all the algae. There was an empty gatorade bottle in one of the water intake things. There were no clean, dry pool towels, despite being assured by the front desk clerk that there were pool towels available. There were football players hanging out over the balconies overlooking the pool, which made me very uncomfortable. (I was alone in the pool). Breakfast was horrible!!! The biscuits were as hard as hockey pucks. The sausage gravy was awful. One orange juice spigot dispensed orange colored water. There were no tongs at the pastry station. It grossed me out thinking about how many hands might have touched those pastries. The dining area is not handicapped accessible. There was no breakfast hostess. There were more staff eating breakfast than guests. The morning front desk clerk couldn't have cared less about being there. You have to ask for the safe fee to be removed from your bill. Upon arrival I was thinking about staying a second night, but after the pool ,the breakfast, horrible internet, and all the football players, I stayed only one night.

Room Tip: If you aren't going to use the room safe, try to remember up front to tell them not to charge yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello

thank you for taking the time to leave comments about our hotel, we take all comments and suggestions seriously, it is disappointing to see that your stay did not meet with your standards, we try many different brands of products on our breakfast bar, and clearly the biscuits and sausage gravy was not to your liking, hopefully you tried the waffle machines, or the fresh fruit or one the various types of yogurt or cottage cheese that we offer, as far as the staff I am sorry we did not perform to your satisfaction, I viewed our video's during every day for breakfast, I did not see staff eating, but I did see some getting coffee, and we will change our policy for staff getting coffee, thank you for letting us know. We do have groups staying in our hotel often, not always football players. Again I apologize for the experience it is not how we operate our hotel, We wish you the best in your future
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I cannot yet speak to the rooms, but I can speak to the customer service at this property. It's the COMPLETE PITS. I have a reservation -- that is already paid for in full -- for a 7 night stay beginning Saturday 7/27 and running through Saturday 8/3. I called from where I live (Las Vegas, NV) to inquire about a shuttle service from the airport -- I was put on hold with loud, horrible music without being asked by anyone if I was okay with holding. After a good 5 minutes, I hung up. When I called back, the person I spoke to was rude and needs to learn how to speak English clearly and properly. She couldn't be bothered to ask me when my flight arrived at the Charlottesville Airport -- it doesn't arrive until 9:30PM. She told me to call when I got there. And I said, fine, I will call at 9:30PM when my flight arrives. Then, in a voice that was completely garbled, she said their shuttle stops at 3:00PM. Considering I've already paid well close to $800.00 for my stay, I find their customer service to be seriously lacking -- and I haven't even been at the property yet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Anthony P
Hello

Thank you for leaving your comments, We are disappointed to see that you were not happy with your stay, while we do have new staff training, what you experienced is not indicative of the type of service we give. We wish you the best in your future travels.
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is not a 4- star hotel but we did not pay for a 4-star hotel either. The rooms were pleasantly decorated and kept cool on a 95 degree Virginia day. Our breakfast had a good selection but no napkins. The bathroom was very small but adequate. It was great to have a little refrigerator in the room and the beds were comfortable (one higher than the other) but they both provided a good sleep. We were very concerned that the room would be noisy with a boy's baseball team in residence but it was pleasantly quiet. Our only suggestion was that management provide some information on channels for the TV. It would save a lot of time"surfing". All in all, we got our money's worth and given that we were in a college town, it could be a lot worse!

Room Tip: Deli next door is pretty good,
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hello

Thank you for your comments we appreciate you taking the time to do so, I do apologize for the channel selection listing, we just changed our cable package and apparently the housekeeper did not put in the temporary one, thank you for letting us know so we can stay on top of that. We wish you the best in your future travels and hope to see you again on your next trip to Charlottesville.