“Glad I gave it another chance”

Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
hampton, virginia
“Glad I gave it another chance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Cavalier Inn in the past and did not give them a very good rating, But I spoke with the General Manager Michael Moran recently about my complaints and I regret that I did not do that initially. He was very patient, kind and willing to correct the problem. The management definitely cares about it's guests. The place was packed with UVA parents so obviously they are doing a good job! No place is perfect but the fact that he listened and addressed the problem speaks volumes! As my daughter transitions to UVA I plan to visit quite a bit, it is nice to know that I have a place to stay where the staff trully care!
Thanks Mr. Moran, see you soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hello

I am very glad that you came back to us and let us show you how our service is to our guests, we value and appreciate your business and very much look forward to seeing you again and we are grateful that you did give us a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were satisfied with our stay here. It was conveniently located. We were able to enjoy a nice walk to the restaurant area and enjoy the lovely buildings and grounds of the university. The staff were courteous and efficient. One side of the building had a glass enclosure on the hallway balconies. The other side has open balconies along the outer hallway. Not that you spend much time there but I found the open side more pleasant.

Breakfast was ok but could have been replenished a bit faster. I had no real issues with this hotel. I would stay again. We were there during orientation week and we had no problems with the students.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello

Thank you for rating our hotel and leaving your comments, I am glad you were satisfied with your stay, we hope to see you on your next trip to Charlottesville.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I wish my husband would have checked the reviews before booking this hotel. Knowing the we'd be gone most of the day into the evening I figured no big deal ,we are only sleeping there! We got in late in the evening after a long drive only to have a bachelor party going on in the room next to ours the kept us up until early morning. After touring all day and dinner we returned to our room only to find that it was not cleaned yet at 8:00 p.m.! We ended up sitting in the lobby to wait for our room to be cleaned. The college kids can have this place! Next time were in the area we'll stay at the Hilton!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lcshopz
Hello

thank you for taking the time to leave a comment I am sorry you were kept up late, we do have security 24 hours a day one phone call to the desk would have stopped any noise, I am sorry our housekeeping did not get to your room until late and they were shorthanded and sometimes making sure they clean rooms right it takes them a little longer. Best of luck on your future travels.

Travelers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

Layton, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Right next to the University, everything on campus was within walking distance. My daughter swam in the pool and had a great time. Their breakfast buffet was good - but they need more than one waffle maker. The line for waffles was pretty long that day, and school was not even in session.

Room Tip: Face away from the street, the traffic can get noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate your business, we are happy to see that we met with your expectations, we have already ordered a 2nd waffle iron they were on back order for like 8 weeks, but our will be here soon, thank you for taking the time to write a review we appreciate it. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Charlottesville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Do not stay at this hotel! My friend and I were visiting the UVA campus and stayed here for the location. The staff was rude and unprofessional upon check-in. We were given the key to a room that was already occupied and walked in on other guest. The incompetent staff at the front desk barely apologized for the mistake. The room was dingy and unclean. Finally, before checking out, we discovered bed bugs on our mattress. This place is a dump!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Rachel K
Sorry you felt you had to write such negative untrue things about our hotel, but we do not give discounts or free rooms to unfounded complaints, you said you would write a bad reveiw which is your right, however saying complete unthruths is another thing. we have do not have bed bugs and your room had no such issues., nice that you feel like your getting back at our hotel, next time stay elsewhere. Good luck in your future travels.
Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I read the reviews after I made the reservation through booking.com and could not cancel it. I was so worried and told the desk clerk that I would need to look at the room before staying there. We were on the fifth floor overlooking the UVA soccer field and it was perfect! The room smelled great, everything was clean, the beds were comfortable, the double drapes kept the room dark until we got up. When we opened them, there was a beautiful view from our room and the sunlight filled the room.
We were just there over night, but I would definitely stay there again. We have already recommended it. I can't imagine where the other reviewers were staying!
We were impressed with the base rate of $79 and more than got our money's worth.
The lobby looked fine to me; the breakfast room was spacious and had lots of tables. The canned fruit was not as nice as the fresh, but the rest of the breakfast was typical.
The shuttle was not still running when our train got in at 9, but would have been another bonus. Not many hotels bother with the train stations.

Room Tip: I liked the fifth floor facing the soccer field. The glassed in walkway kept the exterior walkway dr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HappyResorter
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to rate and comment on your stay, we are pleased to have met with your expectations, we hope to see you again next year when your group comes back to Charlottesville, again thank you for your review.
Southampton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I'll start with the good: Staff was very friendly and accommodating when we ran into an "issue" I'll get to later. The location was good, just a short walk to the free trolly to get to the historic downtown. Continental breakfast was decent, fruit, yogurt, cereal, muffins, bagels, waffles, etc. The mattresses look new
The bad: The front lobby is the only decent looking area of the hotel and it smelled quite bad. The rest of the hotel was quite frightening. We discovered bed bugs in our first room. We brought this to the attention of the staff and they immediately changed our room. We did a thorough inspection of the second room and it did not appear to have any signs of bed bugs. We were staying with a group and wanted to stay with them otherwise I would have checked out right away.
The only reason I rated this as poor and not terrible was because of the staff.
I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SuzyS88
Hello

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay, it’s always disappointing to see when someone is not happy, We were happy that we could accommodate your requests for a different room, the next day we had a specially trained dog come in along with a separate pest control, it was a relief to see that there were no bedbugs as you suggested, we take very proactive steps as to not have any problems or issues. Hopefully next time your group will pick the Omni or Hilton, somewhere you feel more to your liking. We wish you luck in your future travels.