“Great place to stay!”

Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I read the reviews after I made the reservation through booking.com and could not cancel it. I was so worried and told the desk clerk that I would need to look at the room before staying there. We were on the fifth floor overlooking the UVA soccer field and it was perfect! The room smelled great, everything was clean, the beds were comfortable, the double drapes kept the room dark until we got up. When we opened them, there was a beautiful view from our room and the sunlight filled the room.
We were just there over night, but I would definitely stay there again. We have already recommended it. I can't imagine where the other reviewers were staying!
We were impressed with the base rate of $79 and more than got our money's worth.
The lobby looked fine to me; the breakfast room was spacious and had lots of tables. The canned fruit was not as nice as the fresh, but the rest of the breakfast was typical.
The shuttle was not still running when our train got in at 9, but would have been another bonus. Not many hotels bother with the train stations.

Room Tip: I liked the fifth floor facing the soccer field. The glassed in walkway kept the exterior walkway dr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HappyResorter
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to rate and comment on your stay, we are pleased to have met with your expectations, we hope to see you again next year when your group comes back to Charlottesville, again thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I'll start with the good: Staff was very friendly and accommodating when we ran into an "issue" I'll get to later. The location was good, just a short walk to the free trolly to get to the historic downtown. Continental breakfast was decent, fruit, yogurt, cereal, muffins, bagels, waffles, etc. The mattresses look new
The bad: The front lobby is the only decent looking area of the hotel and it smelled quite bad. The rest of the hotel was quite frightening. We discovered bed bugs in our first room. We brought this to the attention of the staff and they immediately changed our room. We did a thorough inspection of the second room and it did not appear to have any signs of bed bugs. We were staying with a group and wanted to stay with them otherwise I would have checked out right away.
The only reason I rated this as poor and not terrible was because of the staff.
I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SuzyS88

Hello

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay, it’s always disappointing to see when someone is not happy, We were happy that we could accommodate your requests for a different room, the next day we had a specially trained dog come in along with a separate pest control, it was a relief to see that there were no bedbugs as you suggested, we take very proactive steps as to not have any problems or issues. Hopefully next time your group will pick the Omni or Hilton, somewhere you feel more to your liking. We wish you luck in your future travels.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is an older hotel that's been updated nicely; however, the deceptive fees they place on their invoices that they do their best to not show you before you leave takes the inn down a few notches. I thought it was unusual that no invoice was left at my door or even handed to me when I checked out, so I asked for a copy. There was a $2 "safe fee" on the bill. When I asked why it was in there, they asked if I used the safe and when I told them that I did not, they took it off the invoice. I don't know why the inn would automatically charge fees under the assumption that an item in the room was going to be used. This is clearly a deceptive business practice meant to charge every guest a few dollars extra, assuming they won't catch it unless they explicitly ask for an invoice. Respectable hotels don't engage in such shady nonsense.

The room was clean, though the light fixture in the bathroom was rusty and the ice bucket had some dirt in it.

Their "deluxe warm breakfast" consists of a do it yourself waffle machine. There is also cereal and pastries, which they don't seem to restock.

They require all guests to place parking passes in their cars, even if it's a quiet weekend when no one would have any reason to park in their lot.

The cleaning crew continuously knocked in our door, even after we told them to go away, until we put the do not disturb sign out.

Overall, the disappointments accumulated as my stay went on. I wouldn't stay there again unless there were no other alternatives.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello

I am sorry to see that you were not satisfied, we serve many guests each evening and it is disappointing to see that you were unhappy, all fees and charges are clearly listed on the registration card and the safe fee's which many hotels have and charge for, requires you to put your initials beside the line explaining and acknowledging the safe charge, our parking lot busy or not is constantly patrolled and vehicles not displaying a valid parking passes are towed, parking is at a premium so we guard our lot, we would not want you to return to a full lot, there are many things that happens in and around the hotel and immediate surrounding area so sometimes lots of cars like to sneak in and park. we wish you well on your future travels.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I read reviews prior to my stay. However, we must not have been in the same hotel. If you need to stay at the University there are other Hotels very close by.
The shower was a mystery in this "newly renovated" room. The hot water would turn to cold without warning and then to scalding.
The bath and water closet itself had drop down ceiling tiles that could have easily been replaced but management just painted over obvious mildew. The sink was exceptionally low.
The TV didn't work until I unplugged and replugged the cord from the back of the TV. The fridge stopped working while I was out and my left overs from dinner the night before spoiled.
The room access is to the outside, it didn't feel very secure and I slept with a bat close by so that I could come up swinging.
The so called breakfast consisted of packages of instant oatmeal packed with sugar, toast, other carbohydrates and not much else for a diabetic. The photographs indicated a hot service but this had been converted to canned peaches over ice.
The lobby is deceivingly inviting. The ladies in the afternoon were very nice and helpful. However the morning desk isn't as friendly, and I hadn't even addressed my concerns yet. I had told myself that I would check the room before unloading the car. I will listen to myself more closely next time.
Good Luck.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Hello

Your opinion matters to us, I am sorry that you felt we did not meet your expectations, it is true our physical building is older, but everything else is new, unfortunately During spring and summer the area experiences power surges, so it is necessary to reset TV's, there is no mold, or mildew in our bathrooms the ceiling tiles are changed as needed, but nothing is painted over. We try to accommodate many guests needs on our breakfast bar, maybe you missed the fresh self-made waffles, the fruit is on ice for food safety reasons, we had many requests for those types of items from guest so we placed them on our breakfast bar. We wish you luck in your future travels.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We have stayed here many times over the last 4 years and have 1 child left to graduate here so we have another year to come to Charlottesville, never wrote reviews before recently, this hoitel is a nice clean and comfortable place to stay, we have never had an issue staying here at least 6 to 7 times a year. rooms have always been clean, staff have always been helpful, many choices to choose from in this town but we "Choose" to stay here, and recommend it to others. breakfast is sometimes hard to get to because so many people at once, breakfast staff not so friendly but food and choice is average. we will stay here again over the next year.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking pool area are the best, love the fresh air
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael-USAA

Hello

Thank for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate your kind words, we are happy to see that we meet your expectations during each of your stays. we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

A newly remodeled hotel on the brink of the campus. Fridge and microwave in room with moderate continental breakfast. Location is within walking distance of the strip. Great for someone on a budget but wanting a classy place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi,

We appreciate you rating our hotel and leaving comments, we are looking forward to your next trip to Charlottesville. Best of luck on your future travels.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

No idea why people would complain about Cavalier Inn. It exceeded our expectations and we enjoyed our stay thoroughly. The building itself and hotel lobby was well furnished and inviting, and room was very clean and spacious for 4 of us. Complimentary breakfast was great with a large variety of pastries and boxed cereal, and there was also a waffle machine. One of the best accommodation we've come across, great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jellybellymelly

Hello

Thank you for taking time to write a review, we are pleased that we met with your expectations, we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Charlottesville