This is an older hotel that's been updated nicely; however, the deceptive fees they place on their invoices that they do their best to not show you before you leave takes the inn down a few notches. I thought it was unusual that no invoice was left at my door or even handed to me when I checked out, so I asked for a copy. There was a $2 "safe fee" on the bill. When I asked why it was in there, they asked if I used the safe and when I told them that I did not, they took it off the invoice. I don't know why the inn would automatically charge fees under the assumption that an item in the room was going to be used. This is clearly a deceptive business practice meant to charge every guest a few dollars extra, assuming they won't catch it unless they explicitly ask for an invoice. Respectable hotels don't engage in such shady nonsense.
The room was clean, though the light fixture in the bathroom was rusty and the ice bucket had some dirt in it.
Their "deluxe warm breakfast" consists of a do it yourself waffle machine. There is also cereal and pastries, which they don't seem to restock.
They require all guests to place parking passes in their cars, even if it's a quiet weekend when no one would have any reason to park in their lot.
The cleaning crew continuously knocked in our door, even after we told them to go away, until we put the do not disturb sign out.
Overall, the disappointments accumulated as my stay went on. I wouldn't stay there again unless there were no other alternatives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- NEWLY RENOVATED "September 2014" all of our guest rooms now feature 4 Star Hotel mattress bedding, pillows and luxury linen collection that extends to our bath linen and feature new bath amenities by Bath & Body Works. Cavalier Inn is located directly on UVA Grounds one block to the Admissions Office, Alumni Hall and the UVA Bookstore. Just 3 blocks to the new Battle Building Children's Hospital, UVA Medical Center, and only 2 blocks from The Jefferson Rotunda and the UVA Chapel. Our hotel is located in the heart of Charlottesville directly on UVA Grounds and only minutes from Monticello, Miche Tavern, Ashlawn Highlands, and a short drive to James Madison’s Montpelier. The hotel offers a Complimentary Deluxe Hot Breakfast Buffet, fitness center, seasonal outdoor pool, cafe patio, and for our business guests a self-serve business center with copy, fax and printer services. Complimentary Shuttle Sunday to Thursday 8am to 5pm must be scheduled in advance. The hotel is a 100% SMOKE FREE property. Our Hotel features deluxe 2 room suites, mini suites and business class suites. Each room features a refrigerator and microwave, iron & ironing board, electronic laptop size safe, free high speed internet and Free Wi-Fi in all guest rooms along with a 37” inch flat screen TV with cable in our standard rooms and 2 flat screens in our suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cavalier Inn At The University Of Virginia Hotel Charlottesville
- Cavalier Hotel Charlottesville
- The Cavalier Hotel