“Not the best choice unless you absolutely have to be right next to UVA”

Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
fletcher
“Not the best choice unless you absolutely have to be right next to UVA”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is old. It has not been renovated and has some interesting makeshift additions. The rug had some sticky spots that my socks stuck to. The bathroom was old and shower didn't work too well. The bed was okay, at least I didn't get bit. The internet was slow, at night when everyone was using it it was really slow, not even worth using. One side of the hotel has this plexiglass wall on the balcony, the other side just has an outdoor balcony. I guess they put it up to cut down on noise from that side of the campus, but I would have appreciated the fresh air, in stead of the stale air in the hallway. When the sun comes up the hall is about 80 degrees so you start sweating before you reach the elevators. They have 1 exhaust fan at one end but it doesn't get it done. The breakfast was humorous, it was exactly the same every day, Cottage cheese,Pineapples,hard boiled eggs, and yucky pastries and cereal. There is a breakfast joint next door to eat and it was reasonable and pretty good.Parking here is weird, the have a lot out back that looks like it was an afterthought, with the spaces so close back to front that if you have a large vehicle then it is a tight squeeze to get through. they have a parking garage under the hotel but you have to see the entrance to believe it, like going into a cavern, with very low clearance, thus a lot of the bigger vehicles are left to fend for themselves inn the munchkin lot. I would say this hotel is right next to campus and good if you are walking, but you can head north on us 29 Emmet St., and there are much nicer hotels up there by lots of shopping and food and the UVA Cat bus runs up there too so you can catch it and it's free. So I would suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank steve p
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Hello

It is always disappointing to us to see when a guest is unhappy, the safety glass enclosed side with floor to ceiling panels allows for a great view of the grounds, it does protect from the noise of the street traffic below, I am sorry that you felt breakfast did not offer more variety each day, we put out certain items on a daily basis to give guest that cannot eat other things a healthy choice of items such as cottage cheese. Fruit, yogurt, boiled eggs, and some of the pastry items may taste yucky to you but are a necessary item because they are gluten free, so we try to offer a variety of items on our complimentary breakfast bar to cover everyone’s needs and unfortunately it does not make everyone happy, but unlike the other hotels in the area where you have to pay to eat breakfast and you also have the choice of going to a restaurant. We wish you much luck on your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
hampton, virginia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were very surprised because the room looked nothing like the pictures on it's web page. It was similar to the econo lodge across the street. While it was clean, it had a stale mildew odor. The positives is that the front desk staff were very nice and professional. The location is excellent being so close to campus, however the stay there put a damper on our trip for Day on the Lawn. I don't require a lot, just clean and comfortable. The room was very hot and had poor ventilation, I was told by the front desk that it has a "broiler system" and temp is controlled centrally. During the night my legs were itching like crazy. I checked the bed but did not see anything. When I got home the next day there were huge bite marks on my legs and one on my neck. I called the hotel and let them know that they should chek room 500 for Bed Bugs, and asked for a manager to call me back. When no one called, I called again the following day. The manager seemed very concerned and was pleasant. She said she would shut that room down and have it inspected. I will never stay there again and would not recommend it, I am surprised that UVA would allow it's name on this property.

Room Tip: Sorry chose another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Natalie W
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hello

thank you for your review we appreciate when guests take the time to let us know about their stay, We serve many guests each evening and try to make everyone’s stay a pleasant one it was disappointing to see that your stay was not. We had the room checked by a pest company no bed bugs were found however, we did find fleas, It is very unfortunate that people like to sneak pets into the hotel, and by do so without letting the front desk know, we don’t know and we don’t have the room treated as part of our pet policy process, that is what the fee is for to cover the expense to guard against things like this, some guest don’t want to pay the pet fee most times, well when we do know that there is a pet in the room we have it treated before we rent it again whether we find flea's in the room or not, I am so sorry that this happened to you, fortunately from your calling and letting us know we were able to advert any further issues. Thank you we very much appreciate you letting us know, and again I am terribly sorry that this happened to you.

Travelers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I am very surprised that people still want to stay here, even with the location. I was touring UVA with my daughter so I thought it would be a good choice. Can't think of any real positives except that the man who came to our room to help with maintenance was very nice. Our room had only one comforter, a broken phone, and a fan that didn't work. The room seemed clean and they are trying with the linens, but the bathroom smelled like mildew. So I went to the front desk and they sent a nice man who said maintenance was not there. He brought a blanket, couldn't fix the fan and didn't have an extra phone. Busloads of students were staying there and it's a loud motel, so we really wanted the fan noise to help muffle the sound. It was so hot in the room that there was no way to leave the door open. We were told we couldn't move because of all the large groups. So we left. I knew we wouldn't sleep and I couldn't even get to the front desk people because yet another bus was unloading at 9:30. We luckily had friends in town and went to stay with them. When I came back to drop my key in the morning, I simply told the front desk that we never even slept in the beds so the housekeepers shouldn't change the linens. Did they say a word? Ask if something was wrong? No. Never said a thing but just took the key without a smile and handed me a receipt. That says it all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank traveler23
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, We apologize that we failed to meet your standards, we will make sure to figure out which housekeeping member serviced your room and take the appropriate action so that this never ever happens again. We wash all linens every day so so the comforter may not have been ready to put back in the room since you checked in early and some of our staff is brand new she may have over looked putting the second comforter back in the room once it was washed, as for groups we do have some groups that stays in our hotel from other colleges, and when they come and go from the hotel a lot of people usually are loud with any type hotel that has groups or convention business, I am sorry about your experience. We do have a manager on duty at all times that can make decisions and take care of things for all our guests so I am curious as to why on any given day comments suggestions compliments and complaints are entered into a log kept by the manager on duty at the desk would not write these things in our log book. Again, I apologize for our failing to meet your expectations,. I wish you the best in the future travel and hope to see you again in the future.,
Andover, MA
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Have stayed here a couple times and not overly impressed by the lack of customer service. After yesterday's experience I will never come back. I booked a room 2 months ago online. I went to check in and they said they had no rooms and directed me down the street to a hotel I would never stay in. The front desk person was unapologetic and matter of fact about it. Whoever runs this place needs to get a grip on managing their establishment. The place is worn and needs some TLC. The only redeeming feature is it is closest to campus. Good luck if you stay here.

Room Tip: If you dont need to be right on campus, shop around for newer rooms. This is a motel (outside doors...
2 Thank CaptainKarl123
Thank you for leaving comments about your stay, We apologized for the inconvenience for having to move your reservation to the Holiday Inn, unfortunately some times people decide to stay over and not tell the front desk and this was the case with your reservation, We can not go in and pack up a guests belongings and move them out, the type of room you had booked there we only a few arrivals for that day so we had no other choice to move your reservation to another hotel, we also offered a parking pass so if you need to park on campus you could park at our hotel,. I apologize for the issue and hope that you will give us another chance.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Best I can say is that the bedding looks nice and the breakfast kept my athlete's stomach from rumbling during the info session. The lobby isn't scary but the glass-encased exterior hallways are a dead giveaway that this is a makeover "hotel" from the late fifties. One big plus: when the campus parking garage filled to capacity at noon, the hotel parking lot (must have dashboard placard from hotel registration) was more convenient than the overflow lot. Also, not a bad stroll up the hill to "the Corner" and across to the Lawn at UVA.

Room Tip: This is near the Amtrak rails but so is campus. Ask for a room facing the parking lot if you are con...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello, thank you for your time and leaving comments about your stay, glad to see you liked the free parking we always try to accommodate people visiting UVA whether they stay with us or not. We hope you will stay with us again, good luck in your travels,
Waynesboro, Virginia
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I manage a motel and I wanted to get a few nights away. I wanted to stay close to Waynesboro so I chose to stay at the Cavalier Inn. I read all the wonderful reviews, looked at their website at the wonderful pictures. I paid in advance for 3 nights stay. When I got there it was a totally different story. The room was so small it felt like we were on top of each other, the bed was so hard none of us slept more than 2 hours. I told them I wanted to check out next day and ask for a refund they gave me the run around. I ended up having to come back to the motel ( yes it is a motel not a hotel) twice just to get my refund. I have never seen so many untrained staff working in one place. House keeping and night audit girl were excellent but the other front desk clerks need some serious training on customer service skills.

2 Thank Missie1011
The good reviews are very true and your insinuation of the pictures of our hotel not being of our hotel is also an incorrect statement. Your disappointment with your stay is concerning to us and we take all of the comments and suggestions we receive seriously,

All book in advance stays state there are "no refunds", as with all hotels and brand chains, and yes we are a" hotel" you can only enter our rooms through a lobby and use elevators, unlike a motel which are single story drive up to your room., withadvance bookings there is a penalty for checking out early as with the airlines, and resorts, a lot of people will book the advance stay and only stay their originally intended night the first night to get the super lo rate and then find fault and make up reasons to get out of paying for the rest of the stay.

Had we found issues or problems with yur room, ( the beds are Hilton standards) as you stated we would have taken the appropriate action but since none were found, then no action or refund was required. next time you come to charlottesville I might suggest that you stay at the Omni, it may be more suitable to your standards. Good luck on your future travels.
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I are actually staying now. We arrived at 2:50 and were promptly told that check-in was not until 3 at which time the room was not ready. Approximately 15 minutes later, our room was available. The hallways are very cold and drafty. The room is definitely older and seems ok upon first glance until you see the gum and candy wrappers discarded behind the night stand along with some kind of travel book. The floor is dirty. The vent in the bathroom is absolutely caked with dust. There is no information in the room whatsoever to guide one regarding hotel amenities, breakfast information or checkout timing. There isn't even a guide next to the phone to signify which button(s) to press to call for assistance. The reception on the tv is of very poor quality and there is no guide on the remote or in the room to assist in viewing. The price was right and it is nice to have a fridge in the room but those are the highlights.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Teri R
Hello

thank you for letting us know about your stay, I am so sorry to see that you were disappointed with your stay, a lot of times people like to take the guides from our guest rooms as a souvenir because of the logo on it, and we have them reprinted but always cant get them back in time to replace the stolen ones, there is usually a guide for channels next to the TV maybe it was under the coffee service tray or under the refrigerator, but none the less when guest let us know there is not one in the room we will bring up another copy, our TV service for the hotel is fiber optics and HDTV so I am not sure why your set did not have good reception, but we will have our maintenance staff run line tests to make sure the cable has not been damaged, some guests bring their game boxes and unplug the cable from the TVs. Again I am very sorry that you were disappointed, I hope that you will give us another chance so you can see that we do provide proper service. thank you for letting us know. good luck on your future travel