“Great location, good for one night, but...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia

Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Tally FLA
“Great location, good for one night, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed in the Cavalier Inn on 10/24-25. While overall, the experience was good,and the location (surrounded by UVA was excellent), there were some things that might be improved.

1) The elevators smelled like the chains that helped to lift them were a bit overgreased, You could smell this every time that you went into the elevator.

2) While the rooms were spacious, with a queen sized bed and a full-sized couch, the bedding itself led something to be desired. As someone that is getting older, having a boxspring with a small pad on top starts to not cut it. Many of the other hotels that this location is comparing itself to have substantially upgraded their bedding over the last several years. It might make sense to do this to improve the guest experience.

3) This is a small one, but it is also beneficial. While this hotel has upgraded their television sets to flat-screens, it has not upgraded the signal fed into the TV's from analog to digital. Perhaps it may make sense to do this in the near future, since this is beginning to be expected from hotels that are comparable to yours, such as LaQuinta.

Overall, for the price and location it was good, but these things could make it much better.

Room Tip: Like many have said, try to get a room on the Emmit St. side, since the glass serves as a noise barr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Hello and thank you for letting us know about your stay, I am sorry about the smell in the elevators, while you were here the hotel was full and our elevators get used heavily and the doors spend a lot of time open, the hydraulic fluid that powers our elevators so times get warm and causing the smell, we will certainly take a look at other things we can do to prevent that from happening. For our cable TV, Charlottesville is not a major city so fiber optics are just coming to our area and at a price that is affordable and not run the price of our rooms up, we have must installed fiber optics internet and the local cable company is running the new lines currently and are expected to be finished in November sometime (hopefully), so maybe on your next trip you could stay with us again to see the new cable lines and the elevator smell gone. Thank you again for your time in letting us know how your stay with us was.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Wonderful experince! NO complaints whatsoever. Fantastic value, clean room, helpful freindly staff, great location. Wonderful experience for two nights' stay! NO complaints whatsoever. Fantastic value, clean room, helpful freindly staff, great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your time in writing a review for us, we are pleased that your stay was a pleasant one. I hope we can be of service to you on your next trip to charlottesville, thank you for staying with us.
fairfax, va
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were mainly concerned with location and that is why we chose the Cavalier Inn (very convenient to campus and facilities). It's an older property that has probably been updated somewhere along the line. Still it's pretty standard motel decor. Nothing fancy, but our room was clean with the usual amenities and everything we needed for our one night stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jlmob
Hello

We were happy that your stay met with your expectations, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review and let us know how your stay was. We hope we can be of service to you on your next trip to Charlottesville.
Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

This negative review does NOT include the very friendly, professional young ladies (Tracy and Jasmine)at the front desk...To say we were extremely unhappy with this hotel is putting it mildly...You have no control over the heating/air conditioning system...The hotel decides what mode you get in your room...Lack of a/c made the room unbearable and sleep was not an option...No matter how many times I called the front desk to beg for a/c all I succeded in getting was about a half hour of air...The bathroom needed a really good cleaning...In addition, the shower rod was completely covered with rust...The carpet molding was hanging off the wall in many place...The wallpaper above the desk was ripped...On the second day, no amenities were left and I had to go to the front desk to request the shampoo, conditioner, etc...We did not find a clock in the room until I accidentally dropped something next to the nightstand and saw the clock between the wall and the nightstand covered with dust...Needless to say, I did not touch it...Breakfast was another disappointment...In conclusion, all I can add is that we learned a very valuable lesson...You get what you pay for...

Room Tip: Not at this hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank brandigirl93
Thank you for taking time to write a review, I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay, we take all of the comments and suggestions we receive seriously, we did find the carpet pulled away from the wall, most of the time when this happens it is when luggage is dragged against the wall and the door opening where you saw it pulled down on the corner, and we repaired it, we check all the rooms when cleaning the rooms, the shower rods in the hotel are being replaced with new ones, since we use plastic hooks on the shower curtains so they do not get scratched , we find that people use metal hangers and scratch the rods which in turn will cause them to rust on small areas, as one of recent projects, the shower rods and bath mats in the tubs are being changed out, it is unfortunate you were there before this project was completed. The breakfast we serve is the same as our competition serves, so I am sorry that you would find the breakfast not to your liking. Thank you again for your comments

Travelers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

NJ/PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

It had everything I wanted at a real bargain price. I appreciated the modest breakfast, the free wireless, the coffee and tea in the room, and the clean room. The bed was comfortable, the bathrooms clean, and I had a couch to use. It has a decent fitness center. It is extremely central to the University and I had plenty of places to visit and eat within walking distance. Good shuttle service too. Being near the university there were times it was a little noisy. But I've stayed at places costing over $200/night that were much worse. I stayed for four days and have already booked another four days for my next visit.

Room Tip: I was on the side away from the university and I think that kept any noise down.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the to write a review, we are pleased the you were happy with your stay, we hope on your next trip that you stay with us again. We wish you the best in your future travels
Greenwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

The hotel is convenient to UVA but the rooms had a musty odor and noisy air conditioning. During the night there was noise from trucks backing up and a train going through. The water in the shower was difficult to turn off and most of the water was wasted down the drain. We stayed for three nights and the last morning they were running out of the breakfast food.The bed was ok as was the TV. We will probably not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank newlil
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are sorry to see that you were unhappy, Im sure having construction trucks going past the hotel due to all of the construction in the area could make your stay not so pleasant,I wish we could do something about that but unfortunately we have no control over area construction projects. All of the construction projects will be over soon so maybe on your next trip you could give us another try to see how you sleep, I apologize if our breakfast staff did not keep the breakfast bar fully stocked, we will keep an eye on that issue and monitor it closely we appreciate you letting us know.
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was put up in this hotel by my company for two weeks out of state on business, and had no idea about it before I walked in the door. My first interaction with the front desk was my first indication. There were two people working there: the front desk employee and a woman who was obviously the manager on duty. They both proceeded to talk to a friend about nothing related to the hotel for nearly five minutes before they even acknowledged my presence, even though I was the only other person in the lobby, standing at the front desk next to the other guy. Once he left they were both quite friendly and accomodating.

My first impression of the hotel was just "ok". It sits in a truely great spot on campus that is close to everything. The front lobby is put together quite nice with old pictures from the university with classical music playing on overhead speakers, which I found manipulative when stacked against the true nature of the hotel. I recieved my card and went to my room. I went through my normal routine with any hotel room and scanned everything from top to bottom. The rooms here, though clearly remodeled, are a nice band-aid over a very dated core. There was nothing wrong with the room I had, but you could see countless coats of paint over certain areas of the bathroom which just bothers me. The rest of the furniture was nice, and the bed was surprisingly very comfortable. However, in my first room, I turned down my bed to find a fresh sheet covered in short black hairs and dried, dead skin... very disgusting. The room also smelled of mildew and bleach that emanated from the bathroom. I went back to the lobby and they changed my room without any problem, with many apologies, yet offered nothing for the inconvenience... sad, but it didn't bother me because I don't look for handouts, just acknowledgement of the issue and a willingness to fix the problem. So far, not great, but not totally bad. I didn't find any issues with my next room and settled in.

It should be noted that despite the lobby and interior elevators that all rooms have exterior entries with the parkinglot side open, and the street side enclosed with glass, which I recommend because it cuts down on outside sound significantly. The hotel is on campus and seems to fill up quite a bit, so it is not totally quiet sometimes, but it's nothing to worry about, and my sleep in two weeks was never interrupted by sound. In fact, I slept quite well because of the comfortable bedding.

The breakfast here isn't that great. They offer an assortment of 'continental breakfast' items including cerial, bagels, pastries, dried oatmeal, yogurt, and horrible juices. They also have 'hot' items which rotate between powdered eggs, wafels, greasy bacon, and a few others. Some days, in my two week stay, they didn't have anything but cerial and bagels. There is a diner right next door, but I personally found the place very dirty with horrible service and disgusting food. Some people might like its diner appeal, but even for a diner, it's just bad food. You're better off finding breakfast elsewhere like the Panera a couple miles away, or the local bagel place which is fantastic.

The hotel does have quite a good gym with two running machines, a broken bike machine, and two stair-steppers. They also have free-weights, exercise pads, and weight balls which is rare for a hotel like this, I got a lot of use out of the gym. There is also a nice pool outside, but it was too cold to use.

The wifi here, though free, is utterly unreliable, and I would suggest picking another hotel if you -need- internet service. I was lucky, in my entire two weeks, to stay connected to the internet longer than 10 minutes before it dropped out for 15 minutes to 2 hours before it worked again. I ended up having to use my phone as a hotspot which was very inconvenient. I approached two different hotel employee's about this and both of them claimed the wifi issue was a very common complaint, but they had no idea how to fix it, and didn't seem to care. I have an IT background and offered to fix the problem, but neither employee knew where the routers were located so I was out of luck there.

I also had issues with the shower and could not take a 10 minute shower without the warm water turning ice cold at least 3 to 4 times which became extremely frustrating at the end of the two weeks. The keycards are also a HUGE issue at this hotel. I had to have my card 'reprogrammed' eight times in two weeks because it decided to just stop working, even though I kept them away from anything magnetic, including my phone. Not a major issue, but very inconvenient.

Overall, this hotel is not worth the money, even though it's cheaper than surrounding hotels. If you're looking for a comfortable nights sleep for a bargain in a very great location then this place is perfect and I would recommend it. However, the lack of working wifi, no cleaning service of any kind (including onsight laundry), and unreliable breakfast makes this place bad for business especially if you're used to "higher" hotels. I would not stay here voluntarily, and did not complain further about my issues because it was booked through my company, so my issues were brought to our booking agent and not the hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the top floor on the Emmett Street side facing the practice field. There is less nois...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BKrunners
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
.Hello

I am sorry that you felt you stay was so bad, I don't mind when people write reviews of their experience, they help us learn how we can improve for all our guests, but I think your review is out of anger that your company did not put you up at the Hilton or Marriott. I know our rooms are clean because they are inspected twice daily by 2 different managers and a rooms inspector, and yes we do use Clorox to kill germs and mold and mildew, So I do apologize to you that there was a Clorox smell in the bathroom, but I know you did not find any mold or mildew as Clorox is used to disinfect the tile walls and floors in our bathrooms and vanity sink area and it prevents germs, mold and mildew, as for our linen, it is counted every day to match rooms that are serviced for each day, mistakes may happen, but I have never had a housekeeper leave dirty linen on the beds, and our linen counts have not been off, all rooms are verified that they are striped daily of their linen. Our breakfast does not use powered eggs, they are liquid eggs, cooked on site, the same brand you buy in the carton in the store. Our breakfast is the same and offers the same items as all of higher end competitors offer, are carpets are new, so are our mattress's and box springs along with the bed linen, we use the Hilton standards as a guide, as for the internet connection we had no one else complain during the time you stayed with us in fact we have not had a complaint since we put in a T1 internet connection that is monitored by a technician 24 hours a day over a year ago, it may have been your computer having the problem, but we offer free 24 hour support for those types of issues. I am sorry you felt the need to take your frustrations with our company out on our hotel, maybe next time they will book you into a hotel that is to more of your liking. Best of luck in your future travels.