“An excellent value!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The English Inn of Charlottesville

The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Charlottesville, Virginia
“An excellent value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in all the major hotel chains all over the world. The English Inn is a very good value. I was hesitant at first because of the themed decor, but the service and cleanliness are top notch. I relaxed before I even entered the front door as beautiful classical music drifted across the driveway. They are "the last independent in the birthplace of independence" and hope to remain independent by offering an excellent experience at a good price. Their outreach projects to the local community nonprofits are admirable as well. Tina and Rod run a tight ship at the generous hot breakfast bar. Thank you! We will be back.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Fayetteville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

From the moment I called for a reservation I was treated with kindness and courtesy. The management and staff welcomed my colleagues and me and insured our brief stay in Charlottesville was pleasant and productive. We were upgraded to the suites and the rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. The staff followed up to insure we were satisfied. The breakfast the following morning was very good and we were permitted to check out later to complete our business. This is an outstanding hotel with a superior staff. I doubt there is a better place to stay in Charlottesville.

2 Thank toddconormon
Greenville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Location is convenient. Rooms are clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Tasty hot breakfast. High tea every afternoon with delicious cookies. Bodo's Bagels and city public garden are nearby. The best feature is the friendly and professional staff! Their priority is to ensure your stay is a pleasant experience. Kathy was especially kind to us during our last visit. We will not stay anywhere else in Charlottesville!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twogeez
Suffolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Our family recently had to stay in Charlottesville unexpectedly due to our newborn being at UVA Medical Center. After talking with the staff at the English Inn and explaining our circumstances, they greeted us as family! We spent five nights with them and never have we met such nice people at a hotel! They went out of their way to be of assistance to us every day! The rooms were wonderful, the complimentary breakfast delicious, and the staff totally accomodating! Their kindness assisted in relieving some of the stress we were under! Our newborn is home and healthy and we know where we will stay if we visit in Charlottesville again!! A big THANK YOU to Mark, Rika and Debbie B. - we won't forget your kindness!!
Jennie W.

1 Thank Jennifer W
San Francisco, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I was just in Charlottesville for my first stop on a multi-city trip and spent 5 nights here at the English Inn. It's the only privately owned, independent (i.e., not chain) hotel in town, and is staffed by uber-friendly and helpful people, especially Kathy at the front desk. She met every request with ease and genuine friendliness.
But this morning took the cake. I was supposed to get on a plane for New York and a very important meeting, and woke up to another one of this year's crazy snow/ice storms. My flights were cancelled and I managed to get a seat on Amtrak for the 9 am. But the person driving me to the train could not get his car out of the driveway because it was too icy. I called all the local cab companies but nobody would come out in this kind of weather. Finally Mike, the hotel manager, dropped what he was doing, fired up his 4 wheeler and drove me to the Amtrak station himself, just in time. Unbelievable.
There is no doubt the English Inn will have my business anytime I'm in Charlottesville. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer apartments.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank lori S
Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Great hotel, cozy lobby with fireplace, tea in the afternoon. Free breakfast was one of the best we've ever had in a hotel. I would suggest nicer paper cups for coffee/tea - the styrofoam ones are too small. People couldn't have been nicer. Little old fashioned but great for the price and so close to University of Virginia and shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was my second stay and both experiences were fantastic. The property is clean, well maintained and well located. There is an excellent breakfast included. The rooms are large and clean. Finally, the staff at the desk was friendly and helpful. This will be my first choice whenever I'm in the area.