“Was I invisible or gum on the bottom of the front desk staff's shoe?”

The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Ohio
“Was I invisible or gum on the bottom of the front desk staff's shoe?”
Reviewed August 19, 2008

First of all, stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. It's new and nice and the staff is nice. The bed is comfortable. All the great things I cannot say about the English Inn.

The front desk staff clearly was not happy to have to check people in. My room was very dark and the mattress was not up to my standards- and my standards are simply more comfortable than the floor.

I noticed a lot of military staying here and the staff seemed as disdainful of them. That just breaks my heart. Who better deserves a little deference?

Anyway, the location is convenient, but I would rather drive an hour each day than stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
7 Thank jean8239

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Baltimore
Reviewed August 17, 2008

After a day-long visit to Montecello, we drove three miles to the English Inn and were greatly impressed. The hotel is clean, quiet and inexpensive. The clerk at the front desk enthusiastically welcomed us to the inn. She even paid us a courtesy call once we got to our room. She also directed us to a delightful nearby Mexican restaurant (El Puerto).

We came back to the room and settled in for an evening of rest. The only drawback was the poor reception on the television. But the important things, the size of the room, the refridgerator, the microwave and the bathroom exceeded our needs.

The next morning, we availed ourselves to the free breakfast buffet of scrambled eggs, biscuits, french toast and bacon.

Our total cost, for the night, including all the taxes was only $104!

True, the hotel is not within easy walking distance to downtown or the Rotunda, but several chain and local restaurants (including the aforementioned El Puerto) are very close.

The English Inn is the place to stay in Charlottesville.

• Liked — Cleanliness, service.
  • Disliked — Television reception
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rletra
Maryland
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Though this hotel is an older property, it's upkeep and appearance has kept pace. The common areas are attractive and comfortable. Our guestroom was spacious and appeared to have been recently renovated with new carpet and bedding. Beds comfortable. The bathroom was large and tub/shower conbination . sink (small vanity).....very clean. TV reception was not the best, but watchable and provided many channels. Quiet surroundings, not a full house on our visit. Complimentary breakfast surpasses most hotels that we have stayed in. Great pool and desk attendants pleasant. We walked to one restuarant closeby.....convenient, ok. Located within easy travel to Monticello and other historical sites. We would return.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Bobkate
Kansas City
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We lived in Ch'ville for 3 years and had no idea this existed! Sure we saw it when we drove back and forth on the main strip but we never heard a thing about it.

I was looking for a place with suites so my kids could have separate rooms. I called every hotel I could think of and finally the Hampton Inn suggested I call English Inn. The room was perfect! My husband and I had our own room, my daughter had a room and my son slept in the living room on the pull out. We had a small but very functional kitchen, two full baths and THREE TVs! Everything was perfectly clean and seemed newly decorated. And it was so quiet there! The view from our room was even pretty. The staff was nice and helpful. As we laid in bed that night I commented that I couldn't think of one negative. We travel a lot and usually stay in higher end hotels (our last visit we stayed at Keswick - $800/night). English Inn was a steal at $170 total! We did not try the pool or stay for breakfast (we always go to the Tavern when we visit Ch'ville) so I can't comment on that. I will say that we only stayed one night and we were all sad to leave. We will definitely stay at English Inn again - I just wish there were more of them!

• Liked — The size of the rooms and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 6, 2008

After reading all of the great reviews about the English Inn, I began to expect a 5-star hotel! As a result, instead of being pleasantly surprised by what we received for a reasonable price, I was a bit disappointed. Everything was nice, but completely expected.

So, if you are hoping to be pleasantly surprised, don't read too many detailed reviews. Just know that it is an older property that is well maintained, clean, quiet, and has a very nice front desk staff. The free breakfast buffet (while not gourmet) was a nice bonus.

And to me, the most important question of all: Would I stay there again? Yes.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

1 Thank MonchiOrlfall
New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2008

My wife and I visited Charlottesville for the first time this summer. The staff at the English Inn made us feel welcome and at home. The rooms were comfortable, clean, and well kept with all the accouterments you will need. The Conservatory off the lobby is a great place to meet with friends, relax and talk over complimentary coffee and tea. We found great restaurants and shopping nearby and after a long day of exploring Charlottesville we enjoyed a refreshing swim in the beautiful indoor pool. I’m sure you will be like us and not want to leave the English Inn.

• Liked — Quiet but very convient to downtown Charlottesville, the airport and right off the highway
  • Disliked — Nothing
WV
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed for two weekend nights and were pleased with the value($100/night). The English Inn is an older hotel that has been mostly renovated. The carpets, draperies, and common areas were all nice. But the in-room heating and cooling units need to be replaced. Admittedly, the temps outside were in the mid-90s and it's tough for any AC to do much with that, but it could get a bit stuffy in the afternoon. We called the front desk and they were willing to change our rooms or recycle the power in hopes the compressor would kick back on. We opted to stay in our room, and it seemed that recycling the power on the unit did help some.

The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. We didn't require too much assistance, but when we did, we were treated quite well.

The breakfast, which is included, was quite good. They offered eggs, bacon, sausage gravy, cereals, breads, three types of juices, coffee and milk. The dining area was plenty big too. Often the breakfast areas in hotels are cramped leaving folks standing to eat. They offered trays so that you could take breakfast to your room, which I sometimes prefer.

The pool was good size. The depth doesn't exceed 4.5', which is great for kids who just want to splash around. Additionally, it offers a much greater playing area. (During our stay, there was a youth baseball team staying also. They had part of the pool and there was still plenty of room for our two kids to play.)

Finally, the English Inn is really convenient. It's located right next to HWY 29/250, and UVA and the downtown area are under 2 miles away. There are several places to eat nearby the hotel and in the Barracks Road Shopping Center (approximately 1 mile south).

• Liked — Value and Experience for the money
  • Disliked — Cooling unit and shower are aging
1 Thank pathic