“Hidden gem”

The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We just got back from our overnight here at the English Inn and I must say with three little kids in tow, we had a great stay. Due to some power outages in the areathe hotel was dealing with locals staying and not sure when they were checking out so our room wasn't quite ready when we got there. However despite the wait, they gave us a grand suite in the courtyard building that was just right for our large family. Te room was renovated a well equipped with lots of pillows and chairs. The bathroom was spacious and the double sink was great. The kitchenette was very nice too.

The place was very quite and we loved the copious breakfast with biscuits, grits, oatmeal, gravy, bacon, eggs, cereal, pancakes..youname it.

The staff was kind. The pool was recently painted and such and was very big. The floor was very slick and they could have used a few more chairs but my impression was they were updating it.

Couldn't beat this place for the price, service, and comfort. We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Festnoz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My sons 8th grade class was visiting Charlottesville the day before the storm. the next morining we woke up we had 7inches of snow. The general manager came in that day to help us out in any and every kind of way. They werent prepared for this big crowd of guess but they were making the best out of the situation. The power went out and the lady at the front desk found games for the kids. Just wanted to thank the people from the Inn for going I felt over and beyond. Thanks

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank morjer9
Reviewed March 9, 2013

First let me say, I have not had the opportunity to stay at the English Inn. However, I wanted to mention a kindness they recently extended to our community. We were hit very badly by the recent snowstorm, and many people in our area were without power. This establishment too was without power for about 15 hrs. However, upon getting back up and running they dropped their rates to enable as many as possible to have a warm place to stay. Most places would take advantage of the increased demand and raise their rates! I live in the area, but if I ever need rooms in Charlottesville the English Inn will be getting my business!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Sue R
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our weekend trip to visit around Charlottesville. I have to admit that I was a bit Leary about booking here but I trusted the ranking on Tripadvisor. It was so cheap compared to the surrounding hotels but I gave it a shot. Beyond expectations!!! The location was absolutely perfect. It is only about a 5 - 10 minute drive to everything. The hotel itself is very clean and well kept. No problems with anything being dirty. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very good, though most everything was a bit cold. But still good for the price! Book here! You won't regret. The best value around Charlottesville!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Brandy T
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Our family of 4, just completed a 3 night stay at this wonderful, independent and personable hotel. Staff is always gracious and friendly. Front desk receptionist, Kathy Brown, made our arrival and check-in a real pleasure. Our room was family friendly with two large bedrooms and two full baths. We've been staying at English Inn for 15+ years, every March, and have NEVER been disappointed. Love the relaxed pace, perfect size, nice amenities and unsurpassed personnel. Complimentary full breakfast and gym privilege to Gold's Gym, right down the street, is top-knotch. Hotel has a massive indoor pool and nicely equipped work-out room. Hotel is convenient to everything you want to do in Charlottesville! Can't say enough.

Room Tip: Smaller suites are perfect for family of 4. Larger suites provide apartment like room for families...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GBView
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in mid February for a Valentines weekend. We were in an efficiency suite not in the main building but across the parking lot. The room was fine as far as bed comfort and space and everything. The front door had a gap that a draft of cold air came in. Heater worked fine so that was a non-issue really, but for bugs/spiders in summer it might be.
They offer "high tea" at 4pm each day in the main buiding. Both days of our stay the hot water in the dispenser was luke warm and wouldn't steep tea, so we had to inform the staff to get more hot water. Also "high tea" was served in styrofoam cups. Not very English or classy at all and such an easy fix. The 2nd day, my wife brought a tea mug over from our room to make it more enjoyable experieince. Our room had the most paper-thin walls of any hotel we've ever stayed at. We could hear everything going on in the room next to us (both quiet discussions and everything else you'd expect). That was quite annoying at 1am and 2am when the couple next to us returned from the bars.

The breakfast buffet was quite good I must say.

A decent value, but I wouldn't recommend staying in the rooms across the parking lot. Hopefully the main building has thicker walls.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rob55
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Every few years we visit Charlottesville, VA and we discovered the English Inn a few years ago.
The hotel continues to be a very good hotel at a moderate rate. The room is very big. We got a king suite and there is an entirely separate room divided by a kitchenette. There are 2 TV's in the suite. Plus, a full size refrigerator. There is also a full breakfast available each morning, including hot entrees. Also, there is nice indoor swimming pool which is harder to find all the time. The hotel is convenient to all the main roads into Charlottesville and they even serve warm cookies very afternoon!

Room Tip: Choose the king suite
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple